24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Edge EZ what all do i need

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge EZ what all do i need

Good morning brand new here and a rookie to all the diesel upgrades Old guy looking for alittle better mileage and towing seen all the stuff on chips and tuners kinda curious if ya need to do anything else other than just plug it in???? just want to add alittle help

Thanks to all from Tn

Bodock

Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bodock
Good morning brand new here and a rookie to all the diesel upgrades Old guy looking for alittle better mileage and towing seen all the stuff on chips and tuners kinda curious if ya need to do anything else other than just plug it in???? just want to add alittle help

Thanks to all from Tn

Bodock
Depends on how you plan to use the tuner. First and foremost, gauges are always a recommended prior to installing any tuners. Reason being, you're altering the stock settings of your ECM and motor, and you never know how well received that is going to be. For that reason, its best you have a way to monitor the basics - Fuel, EGT's, and boost. To provide you with an example - my truck started and ran perfectly fine with the stock lift pump. I install a FASS 150 and all of a sudden I'm experiencing sparatic fuel pressure issues. Had I not installed a pressure gauge, I would be driving the truck around unaware of the sparatic pressures my VP is now experiencing, as the truck will start (for the most part) and drive around just fine.

In terms of additional parts required for a tuner/programmer/ whatever you want to call them, you may need an upgraded lift pump to supply a higher rate of fuel to the injection pump. FASS and Airdog seem to be the two highest rated, and most commonly recommended, pumps. However I would say reasearch to see what fits best with your application. I.e. certain tuners on certain levels WILL require fuel flow that the stock lift pump simply can't supply, whereas others, set on lower levels, can operate on a stock lift pump. Regardless though, an aftermarket lift pump is always suggested over the stock lift pump with, or whitout, a tuner or other modifications to the truck.

Here is the typical suggested modification order for our trucks by most people -
# 1 priority = gauges
# 2 Lift pump
# 3 Transmission build if you have an Auto
# 4 Tuner/Programmer
# 5 Turbo and Injectors

As you can see, the first three priorities are just getting under-par stock parts up-to-par, then you start adding the performance modifications in.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

What DODGEARMYGUY said is true. You have to build reliability into junk oem part areas then move to the fun stuff. As for lift pumps I would stay away from Airdog, lately they have been having a lot of issues from what I have seen. Fass is the better way to go IMO.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:13 AM

Thanks guys very helpful look forward to learning a lot from ya'll

Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As fas as installing the Edge it comes with everything you will need. It plugs into the map sensor and the data link under the hood. Then you just run the selector switch to the dash and mount it. That's about it.