24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

problems cranking

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems cranking

I have a 2000 5.9l that will not turn over at all batteries r good have code p1693 when I had it checked

Old 11-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 cummins starts up then dies

Okay so bought my 01 5 months ago. When i bought it she ran like a dream and still does when she turns on. But in the last week ive had problems in with it starting and stay running when cold and not with help. When she dies out i turn key off let glow plugs and pump run again and then try to turn over and i get turn over power in a healthy way and as it doing this im also on and off the peddle to help and after 20 seconds she starts runs drives fine even if i shut it off for 20 mins she starts up fine again. I have changed the batterys, oil change (even though not relevant) air filter, fuel filter. But all was changed 3 weeks before my problem. And i live in canada so i get cold weather but since we have only had up to -10°. I plug her in every day even when it is +5° just to make sure when im not around it dont get cold. I also have an srt10 hood on her. Could an open Cowell hood be an issue? Someonw please help. I love my truck and need to get to work since she is my only mode of transportation.

Last edited by mattyboii01; 11-28-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Alright, there is a few questions on this thread, i will do the best to answer both of them. lets start at the top.

I have a 2000 5.9l that will not turn over at all batteries r good have code p1693 when I had it checked ]if it is not turn over at all there is little things it can be, start by insuring the connections on the starter are tight and secure. there will be two wires going to the starter, one heavy gauge and one small wire, the heavy wire must have constant battery voltage while the little wire is just a switched power, it will get a 12v signal when you turn the key to the start POS. if you have 12v to the signal wire while trying to crank and 12v to the large wire, you have a bad starter, if you are not getting the 12v reference to the small wire then you have and issue with the keyed power, it could be a bad switch, bad clutch position sensor, bad fuse ect. try putting a wire on the pos terminal of the battery and touching it to the little post on the starter, BEWARE, THE TRUCK WILL START IN GEAR

Okay so bought my 01 5 months ago. When i bought it she ran like a dream and still does when she turns on. But in the last week ive had problems in with it starting and stay running when cold and not with help. When she dies out i turn key off let glow plugs your engine uses a pre heater grid not glow plugs. and pump run again and then try to turn over and i get turn over power in a healthy way and as it doing this im also on and off the peddle to help and after 20 seconds she starts runs drives fine even if i shut it off for 20 mins she starts up fine again. I have changed the batteries, oil change (even though not relevant) air filter, fuel filter. But all was changed 3 weeks before my problem. And i live in canada so i get cold weather but since we have only had up to -10°. I plug her in every day even when it is +5° just to make sure when im not around it dont get cold. I also have an srt10 hood on her. Could an open Cowell hood be an issue? Someone please help. I love my truck and need to get to work since she is my only mode of transportation.

from what i can tell it may just be having trouble starting when cold? i am not 100% sure what issue you are having

Old 11-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyboii01
Okay so bought my 01 5 months ago. When i bought it she ran like a dream and still does when she turns on. But in the last week ive had problems in with it starting and stay running when cold and not with help. When she dies out i turn key off let glow plugs and pump run again and then try to turn over and i get turn over power in a healthy way and as it doing this im also on and off the peddle to help and after 20 seconds she starts runs drives fine even if i shut it off for 20 mins she starts up fine again. I have changed the batterys, oil change (even though not relevant) air filter, fuel filter. But all was changed 3 weeks before my problem. And i live in canada so i get cold weather but since we have only had up to -10°. I plug her in every day even when it is +5° just to make sure when im not around it dont get cold. I also have an srt10 hood on her. Could an open Cowell hood be an issue? Someonw please help. I love my truck and need to get to work since she is my only mode of transportation.
An open cowl hood will definately not help keep your engine compartment warm in the cold weather. I'd see if I could block that cowl induction for the winter at least. Something you can do right away though, put a blanket or sleeping bag or other type of insulator over the hood, especially that cowl induction area and see if it makes a difference when you go to start it.

I'm not sure if fuel treatment could be an issue here or not. -10C is not really all that cold and I'd think you would be able to start it then even with that open cowl induction.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more possible causes.