24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

3 cold cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 cold cylinders

hello Peoples,

I have just purchased a 5.9 Cummings 3/4 ton (not running) with 1,3 and 5 cylinders not getting fuel. I have not got to touch it yet. I work offshore and bought the truck my last day home. The short story is, I trouble shot the truck for an old man approximately3 years ago for a (rough idle) and found it had 3 cold exhaust ports. I told him I was 90% sure it was the injection pump, but to get a diesel mechanic to take a look at it. its sat all this time and now its my problem. any ideas out there? I read something on this site, some one had 3 cylinders cold but it was a 2007 and it was the back 3 cylinders, 6,2 and 4. some one said it was valve cover gaskets?! lost me there anyways I will take any information I can get, because I am new to the Cummings world.

thanks
Robert

Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Your a special person to get to own a Cummings

The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (09-16-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you have the right idea, most likely the injector pump, though before changing it I'd double check to make sure it isn't sucking air... Also check the valve lash, since a tight valve would cause lost compression... with the air cleaner off, listen in the turbo inlet (not tooo close), and if an intake valve is leaking, you ought to be able to hear it through there, listening to the exhaust (especially if it's straight piped, but I would doubt yours is) you'd be able to hear exhaust valves hiss if they're burnt/tight.

Does it smoke?

And by the way, Cummins has no 'g' in it

Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Diesel Fan

HUMM just realized I spelt that with the G, mind was sure not working that day. I get to go in tomorrow from offshore so this week end I will have the truck at my shop were I can do some trouble shooting in comfort. this truck has not been touched in at least 3 years, so I'm sure other problems will possibly come up. I got it for a deal, even with the problems its only has 60,000 miles on it so its worth some time. I can not recall when I last seen it run if it was smoking or not, seems it may have had a small amount of white smoke with it. I will have a lot more to go with once I can get it home and get to work on it. going to be a busy week, think I bagged my dream car 1969 dodge charger 500, so that deal goes down first nervous as hell though, because its not a done deal yet !
thanks again RX7
thanks for the good pointers the valves never did cross my mind.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Good luck with the car... I wouldn't mind one of those myself

I'd start with the basics on the truck, make sure there's not air in the lines, then check the valve lash, if that doesn't help, I think you'd be best to take it to a shop and get a leakdown/compression check on it to make sure it's not a head gasket (or perhaps disconnect the injector pump electrical plug and crank it, see if it sounds like it has the same compression on all 6 cylinders to start) After you're positive the mechanical side is good, it leaves only the IP and injectors.

It sure has low mileage, so I would doubt anything in the bottom end is bad

Old 09-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

if it is 1-3-5, that is one hell of a rough idle considering the firing order of the engine just thinking about this, i do not thing rough does that idle any justice

Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7man
Good luck with the car... I wouldn't mind one of those myself

I'd start with the basics on the truck, make sure there's not air in the lines, then check the valve lash, if that doesn't help, I think you'd be best to take it to a shop and get a leakdown/compression check on it to make sure it's not a head gasket (or perhaps disconnect the injector pump electrical plug and crank it, see if it sounds like it has the same compression on all 6 cylinders to start) After you're positive the mechanical side is good, it leaves only the IP and injectors.

It sure has low mileage, so I would doubt anything in the bottom end is bad
Yeah mileage is low but if regular maintenance isnt done you can kill any motor

Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Diesel Fan

OK, Here it is ! I did what I typically do I just jumped into it and pulled the injector pump and replaced it. It still is doing the same thing. ok, live and learn. so now I guess its time to think instead of just hanging on the end of the wrenches. the truck has 53335 miles on it, wow its low miles for a 2001.
I'm going to get my brothers scan tool and do some checks on what if any codes that could be of some help.
Oh and the car, well it was not a 1969 but it is still a good deal. its a 1970 with a 505 stroker and I got it for 10,000. its an old restoration so the body has no rust, interior needs work.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Well good thing I got it cheap, and good reason the 1,5 and 3 where cold. the old man that had it has to be hard of hearing. it has 2 broken rods. so next question, is there a difference in crank shafts from the auto and standards? I found an auto engine with under 150,000 miles for a good price.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Wow.. How in tarnation does someone throw the rods in 50,000 miles??

Engines should swap out pretty easy, only difference might be on the injectors/computer.

Most likely the old engine is a boat anchor, but I'd love to know what happened to it. The only thing I can think of right now is coolant getting into the oil and wiping out the bearings ... I know they don't like that! The head might be salvagable at least.

Quick Reply: 3 cold cylinders