24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

suspected lift pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspected lift pump problem

I have a 98 cummins 24 valve with 114k miles when i got it several months ago it threw a map sensor code and injection timing error code i left it go for a month then started getting a little bit of dead pedal so i put on a raptor 100gph lift pump the initial fire up after this install was hard missing/stuttering at idle i turned off for a half hour fired it up and ran great after that.. the check engine light for the same codes would come on and off every week or 2 with the idle miss/stutter jumping from 18 psi to 22psi on the fuel gauge off and on and when driving it would skip very fast for a split second then had very strong power loss the one day home from work had it floored and would hardly make it up a hill.. these symptoms happening immidiately after the lift pump install and how the gauge is hooked into filter which reads lift pump pressure leads me to believe that the problem is coming from the lift pump..what are your thoughts?

thank you for your time

Old 09-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without knowing the specific codes, it sounds like an injector pump based the symptoms you are describing. To help you regarding information about your truck, I would recommend you check out Turbo Diesel Registry – TDR.

Since the late 90s TDR has compiled information on the Dodge/Cummins Turbo Diesel truck. Each year TDR updates the book. The TDR calls their manual the Turbo Diesel Buyers Guide which is free to down load, and the Buyers Guide allows you to do topic or word searches to help guide you to information and answers quickly.

Over the years there have been many changes to the Dodge truck and Cummins engine. For detailed information, I would suggest that you download the 300+ page PDF file “Turbo Diesel Buyers Guide” from the Turbo Diesel Register website (www.turbodieselregister.com). Keep in mind that the information in TDR is written by Cummins parts and tech service personnel.

In this document you will find that they give you a concise answer to each question and often referenced detailed (often four to six page articles) where you can get more information. I think you’ll find the TDR answers and references helpful in this Dodge Cummins Guide.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it sounds like your injector pump. I could have been starved for fuel to long before you added your raptor.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
Without knowing the specific codes, it sounds like an injector pump based the symptoms you are describing. To help you regarding information about your truck, I would recommend you check out Turbo Diesel Registry – TDR.

Since the late 90s TDR has compiled information on the Dodge/Cummins Turbo Diesel truck. Each year TDR updates the book. The TDR calls their manual the Turbo Diesel Buyers Guide which is free to down load, and the Buyers Guide allows you to do topic or word searches to help guide you to information and answers quickly.

Over the years there have been many changes to the Dodge truck and Cummins engine. For detailed information, I would suggest that you download the 300+ page PDF file “Turbo Diesel Buyers Guide” from the Turbo Diesel Register website (www.turbodieselregister.com). Keep in mind that the information in TDR is written by Cummins parts and tech service personnel.

In this document you will find that they give you a concise answer to each question and often referenced detailed (often four to six page articles) where you can get more information. I think you’ll find the TDR answers and references helpful in this Dodge Cummins Guide.

Hope this helps.
.. thanks for help I will check out your site

Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by gh0stman
I think it sounds like your injector pump. I could have been starved for fuel to long before you added your raptor.
Thanks for your input you're prob right about the injection pump being bad but would that cause the lift pump to surge/stutter and fluctuate psi at idle? Ive heard it could be air leak at pump or bad ground looking for all the info I can obtain