24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

First Time Owner and I'm at a Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Owner and I'm at a Loss

Hey all,

First time poster, long time lurker. Anyway just bought my first Cummins last week. It's a '02 Quad Cab 4x4 with an automatic and 200k miles.

What I thought would be a nice truck has really went the other direction on me. The truck keeps stalling out and I'm at a loss. It will idle just fine. When I drop it in gear it's alright, give it a little throttle it's a hit or miss whether it will stall out. It stalls out trying to go up a hill at low speeds. My driveway is a steep incline and when I'm drving up it at a low speed the truck just stalls out. You can give it more throttle but it seems like it's a struggle to pull itself and just stalls. Also if I turn the wheel to the right or left as far as it goes, the truck will stall.

Every time it stalls, it will start up again on the first try. No starting problems at all.

One day it will do fine and drive without any problems at all. The next day it will give me all the same problems again.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Lift pump going out?

Thanks for the help,
Nathan

Last edited by StainlessBullet; 08-29-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you check for any codes ?
On the outlet side of your vp there is a banjo bolt, take out and clean
see if that helps.