24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Oil leaking between the powersteering and vacuum pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil leaking between the powersteering and vacuum pump

Hey guys just got done dumping about $1500 in my 99 dually after some very pesky oil leak fixes turned expensive. Long story short my bolts came out of my powersteering pump and wrecked the seal and i dumped all but two qts of oil on the side of the road. Brought the truck hoe pulled pumps and replaced powersteering with a new pump and then replaced the seal with the cummins kit. Had to replace the drive dog on the vacuum pump with a new one from gould's electric and machine and put it all back together. Mr. Gould told me i should put his double lip seal in as i would be doing the seal again in about 600 miles thanks to cummins poor seal. He was partially right, i got 6 hours out of it before it started leaking again. Does cummins offer a better seal or is the Gouuld seal the only way to go or is there enough room in that housing a guy could put a second seal? I want this to be the last time i pull this damn pump assembly. Input?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Get the Gould