24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

VP Toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
I would deffinately look at the VP last though since it's 20 times the price of any other things you could check out first.
+1 to that.

I haven't heard of such until recently. We had a guy here at work whose truck exhibited those same symptoms and it was in fact the VP dying.

I have to also agree with Bubba that I'd certainly spend some time checking out everything else. It won't be that much extra work, and may pay big divedends.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I can dig it,just that it's clear over in Portland,and I'm trying to see all the angles on this,just in case,I'll check the Crank position sensor,and see if I can find any leaks into the fuel system,though I doubt it....sounds like I better plan on putting Ol' Blue up on the trailer again

Maybe it's time to ppump this P.O.S. and be done with it.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Krabs

Doin that would only be the start of a whole new nightmare.

If you have another pump sittin handy I would also suggest grabbin the pressure regulator fitting off of it, the outgoing fuel banjo bolt and trying it on the bad truck. If that little thing goes bad it causes all sorts of issues that lead folks to replace VP's that are perfectly good.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Krabs
I can dig it,just that it's clear over in Portland,and I'm trying to see all the angles on this,just in case,I'll check the Crank position sensor,and see if I can find any leaks into the fuel system,though I doubt it....sounds like I better plan on putting Ol' Blue up on the trailer again

Prolly be cheaper to sling a commonrail in her.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

haha,thats a joke right?
I'm thinking even with a core I can get a p7100 for about $745+300 core Pensacola Diesel Inc. - DODGE/CUMMINS :: FUEL INJECTION PUMPS
then theres a "kit" with the timing case ect.PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS
then a little diggin around for this and that.
Talk me out of it if it's an awful idea,or theres alot more to it that I don't know about.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
BOMBARDIER

The worse part of the P-Pump is that you lose the adjustability of the 24V. It is either turned up or down and not adjustable with a button. With pollution control issues becoming more improtant everyday this could have a major impact in the very near future. The next problem is getting in tuned in once it's all installed. The install is the quick and easy part.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Diesel Wrench

Is it still difficult to tune if I'm not looking for lots of power?
Heck I'd be happy to get like 300hp to the ground and whatever I could for mileage.
If you talk me out of it it would be alot cheaper now,just trying to make this thing more reliable.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:38 AM
BOMBARDIER

A little issue I ran into travelin with my truck and since your talkin about a travel trailer I assume you travel with yours. I'm on the road, 1000 plus miles from home and my trucks sittin dead on the road. I had it towed to a cummins shop. They pulled it in the bay and crawled under it, came out and said what do you want us to do with this. I said fix it I hope. We can't fix anything on this it's all aftermarket stuff that we can't work on. The only way they could work on it would be to pull all my fueling system out and replace it with stock. Now mind you I just got towed off the top of a mountain in a snowstorm at Lake Tahoe California. Not exactly the cheapest place to be in the middle of ski season.

I had no tools with me and no shops would work on a modified truck. What do you do.
In my case I went to the local TrueValue and bought a pair of pliers and a small wrench set, pulled out an ironing board that just happened to be in the trailer I was pulling and used it to lay on under the truck so I was out of the snow and I went to work in sub zero temps and fixed it as best I could.

This is the problem with heavily modified trucks if you travel away from home in them or if you don't know how to fix them yourself. Just a personal experiance.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Diesel Wrench

That's a great point,I never pay to have someone else work on my truck,every time I've done that it costs me more than I'd like to spend.
Example, I swapped those engines in a gravel driveway in less hours than I was billed for at the place that I had #6 replaced. (that's pull two engines,install one)

You do make sense,if I do this I WILL be working on my own truck,I like working on my own,just when the VP goes down then I'm done,till I get another one ordered,or hunt one up locally.

Really though,talk me out of it!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Diesel Wrench

1693 the only code I got....grrr