24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

VP Toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default VP Toast?

Hey guys,just went to hook up to a trailer over in Portland OR...fired the truck up,everything was as should be,happy rattle of my little cummins...pulled forward and and clutched out to put it in reverse and when it dropped to an idle it almost died,and ran like it does when you first bleed the air out,you know...one,maybe 2 random cylinders.

That sound like a VP problem to anyone else?

Got the thing to restart that way once,and it ran for a couple minutes till I shut it off...

So,what you guys think?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

With the VP any symptom is possible but lack of power is not one of the more common ones unless it's accompanied by other things. It is an advanced symptom. Typically by the time you get to lost power you have already noticed a steep dive in your fuel mileage and the not starting when hot has already been an issue.

Normally I'd ask about fuel pressure but I just read your other post about holding 15psi so that's not an issue, that also rules out the LP as the problem. So the only other thing I can think of is bad fuel. drain some fuel off in a jar and let it sit for a few minutes to see if any water seperates out. Don't forget to check codes on it also just to see what pops up.

After all of this I would move onto the sensors next. Pull, check and clean them to see what happens.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Krabs (05-02-2008)
Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the cam pos sens on my 01 It just all the sudden turned off, then fired ran like crap and turned off get it scaned the part was like 80 bucks and not crazy hard to replace

Mr.Krabs (05-02-2008)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I bet on cam sensor too...........pull the codes dude

Mr.Krabs (05-02-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Diesel Wrench

Crank sensor maybe? I've got a 2000 engine in mine,so it's got the Crank sensor.
Thanks for getting back to me guys,the other sites would not give me a guess unless I gave them a code,heck if I had a code I could look and see what it said...
Made me wanna bite some noses!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
With the VP any symptom is possible but lack of power is not one of the more common ones unless it's accompanied by other things. It is an advanced symptom. Typically by the time you get to lost power you have already noticed a steep dive in your fuel mileage and the not starting when hot has already been an issue.
I have noticed a pretty good drop in fuel milage,not all the time,but sometimes.-2or3 mpg
and have had it fail to start,you know when you turn it over nearly enough to start it?
then look goofy and start it all the way?
Not what I'd call "hard" to start though,just about 1 rev more than I usually use.

Last edited by Mr.Krabs; 05-02-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 AM
BOMBARDIER

With the hard to start issue the truck will fire right up no problem first thing in the morning or after it's sat long enough to completely cool the pump off. But if you shut the truck off it won't restart for hours, period unless you douse it in cold water to cool it off.

I would deffinately look at the VP last though since it's 20 times the price of any other things you could check out first.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Diesel Wrench

Okay,I've got the VP off my old engine,will a "HO" Injection pump work on a "SO" engine do ya think?
I'll check the other things that I can first,not sure what I can check,but I guess I can try the Crank sensor,if I can find one in short order.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
BOMBARDIER

Hav you checked the codes on your on board diagnostic system yet.

If you pull the sensor you can check it with an Ohmmeter to see if its still good, no need to throw parts at it if it's still good. Whitmore posted a guide in here someplace on what the readings should be and how to check all of the sensors, I'll just have to find it.

IAT Sensor: https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...or-sensor.html

CPS Sensor: https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...on-sensor.html

MAP Sensor: https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...-pressure.html

Last edited by Uncle Bubba; 05-02-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Mr.Krabs (05-02-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Diesel Wrench

Okay,now does anyone know if the HO pump I've got will work well on the SO engine I have in the truck now?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Mr.Krabs
Okay,now does anyone know if the HO pump I've got will work well on the SO engine I have in the truck now?
I'm not the expert here but from past reading on the sites I would say no. They make the HO pump that will run an SO truck, it's the HRVP but it's an HO pump that has been modified just for running on the SO truck.