24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Got a new to me Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a new to me Dodge!

Hey guys I just bought a 98.5 24 valve cc lb. The guy I got it from said it needs a new pcm, but from what I understand the only thing not working is the gauges and radio. everything else works perfect including the ac. so whats the real problem here? Runs like a top too, its got a raptor lift pump and k&n air filter and some kind of edge chip mounted on the drivers side in engine compartment. Do I have a pcm issue or some other issue? I'm a newb to cummins too b/c I'm only 17 and the truck I traded was my first and was a gasser.. thanks guys I appreciate it!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Someone please respond! I've got to drive this truck to work tomorrow worry free.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks to no one on here I got it all fixed. All I need to now is figure out the brakes the brake light and abs light are both on.. Can someone please help me with this..

Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine does the same thing intermittently. I was told it's a sensor, the abs sensor on the rear end in my case.
If people don't respond immediately I don't think that it's because they have the answer and choose not to respond. More likely that nobody with the answer has seen the post yet. If you need a quicker answer, post the ? on multiple sites, competition diesel is one.

So what turned out to be the problem you fixed?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBear
Hey guys I just bought a 98.5 24 valve cc lb. The guy I got it from said it needs a new pcm, but from what I understand the only thing not working is the gauges and radio. everything else works perfect including the ac. so whats the real problem here? Runs like a top too, its got a raptor lift pump and k&n air filter and some kind of edge chip mounted on the drivers side in engine compartment. Do I have a pcm issue or some other issue? I'm a newb to cummins too b/c I'm only 17 and the truck I traded was my first and was a gasser.. thanks guys I appreciate it!
You are asking 'what is the problem?' - but you say everying else works perfect. So the answer is - 'there is no problem' until something comes up that give us more data to evaluate.

Check to see if there are troublecodes....drive it around some more and see if there are any 'quirks' worth reporting - then start a new thread. Gather more data on what your truck has - modifications, etc. Does it have an upgraded Lift Pump? Does it have gauges? Then - create a 'signature' that gives all this information on you and your ride whenever you make a post. (Saves us asking whether you have an Auto or Manual, 2WD or 4WD, gauges, etc etc etc.)

Spend time looking through the various posts and 'get up to speed' on common problems. It is better to know what the quirks are that might happen to your ride BEFORE it happens - rather than let something happen - and you come here for help - but you failed to avail yourself of the major benefit of this BB - the ability to look back in time and figure out what problems do happen.

Good luck and have fun with your ride.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Diesel Fan

I apologize, I'm an impatient teenager and as this is now my daily driver i'm sure you could understand a little bit as to why I was being impatient. However it was showing no codes b/c fuse #8 and #17 we're blown which fixed my dash and radio. However I am losing voltage to my batteries which are brand new duralasts, so I will get the alternator tested tomorrow. If it is not the problem I might need someone's help.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Diesel Fan

yjay. I talked to the guy I got it from today, btw it was a bangin deal (the truck), and he said the front right abs sensor was accidently cut when the front end was recently gone through so replacing that should fix the problem. The abs light and brake light.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Ya might wanna ditch the K&N. Theyre notorious for letting in fine dust. Dry flow air filters work great.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Right on. Agreed with the above statement about the K&N or any other oiled filter. I run an Amsoil Nanofiber with a pre filter covering and am happy with it and the price.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Ya might wanna ditch the K&N. Theyre notorious for letting in fine dust. Dry flow air filters work great.
Notorious for letting in fine dust....but you also missed the other part - the fine dust is lightly coated in oil so that the dust sticks to the turbo and gives it a fine dusty/oily look, instead of a nice shiny clean look. What's not to like about that!

Quick Reply: Got a new to me Dodge!