24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

02 Cummins Low Power when towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Cummins Low Power when towing

Morning fellas,

Been reading all of your infor for a while now and finally joined. I had an 07 Dodge that I put 320k on and decided to sell bought a gasser and hated it so I sold that and got the one truck I have always wanted since I could drive a 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB. It was a one owner truck and very well taken care of and stock with the exceptiong of a 50Hp power puck. I have since put a Fass titanium and a new VP from Thoroughbred Diesel, and a NHAF. When pulling my boat this last weekend I onle got 7.5 MPGs and I had to have the overdrive off or I would lose speed on flat ground (texas coast) I know its now my 07 but it should pull alot better than that (9,000lbs) I had to put in in 4x4low jsut to get it up the ramp. The trruck is an auto and I plan to swap to 6speed when the tranny fails. I have been looking at boost leaks and wastegate problems an I am building a boost leak tester today. How loud should the turbo be with the BHAF as mine is not very distinct just a faint whistle which is making me question boost.I now it takes fuel to make boost but its a new vp so I dont think that is problem but I know nothing about wastegates. what do you guys think? I am making myself crazy so any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

it be nice if you had a boost gauge on your truck, but if you had a boost leak you would be audible. Now the waste gate is controlled by the compressor housing pressures. If you look at you turbo you will see a rubber hose about 1/4 inch in diameter that runs to a cylinder looking device that has a rod connected to it which runs to the exhaust housing. If its cracked or brittle its will create a boost leak and also never close the waste gate. Don't go to crazy with a stock filter housing on my truck going up a good hill with a load it sounded like my turbo was in the glove box. I would also take the filter tube off the turbo and check for any side to side play.