24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

My truck lost half its gauges!!Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck lost half its gauges!!Please help!!

I had my oil pressure, engine temp, RPM gauge and tranny temp gauge on my pod quit working along with my tc lock up switch. I wired a new switch in for the tc and hooked it up wrong and basically sent 12v into one of the wires that run to the switch. I think it is either the PCM or the ECM thats givng me problems since everything quit at once. Do one of these run all of these gauges? I have also went through all the fuses in the cab and under the hood with a meter and they are all good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also the fuel pressure gauge is bouncing back and forth between 40 and 50 lbs. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it started when the rest of this started.

Last edited by MrNayoo; 03-09-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check to make sure the plugs in the back of the gauge cluster are nice and clean and seated properly then from there about the only other thing i can think of is multi meter at some of the sensors to see if there still working

Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM

UPDATE:

Well I'm down to my oil pressure, engine temp, and RPM guage not working. And my fuel pressure guage has started to spike in a big way. It was going from 20-40 and now its spiking from 0-70lbs!! This all started after I got my other problems fixed. The tranny temp gauge turned out to be a fuse and the tc lockup was a switch. Does the oil, engine temp and the RPM gauge have something in common, like a ground maybe? And the fuel pressure started out fluctuating by 10lbs now its moving by 70lbs!! It was rock solid before no matter what the throttle was now I wonder if I have an injector or a plunger in the p pump going out. I'm at a loss. Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

There is a ground for the gauges right above the e brake on the left side right in front of the door kinda right in front of the fuse box towards the engine its a 10mm and if its dirty it could cause problems but i think the stepper motors but not positive if they are they could have burnt out what kind of fuel gauge are you useing and were is your sending unit if it is a electronic gauge ???

Also take the bolts out behind the kick panals and clean them as well but idk if that will help but couldnt hurt

Last edited by lilmike1540; 03-12-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Its a mechanical gauge that hooks up to the fuel line. I took it out and emptied it out and put it back in and it started working! I guess it had an air bubble in the line or something. My RPM, oil pressure and engine temp still don't work but I haven't had time to test the ground for the gauges. I will work on it tomorrow night though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I got my issues figured out. The fuel pressure gauge started working after I took the gauge out, shook it out and put it back on. I guess it was an air bubble in th gauge or something. My other gauge problem was because of a BD top speed eliminator that I took off. I seen the module and it was an older one and said something about a race defueler. I flipped the switch and it didn't seem to do anything so I cut it out! I did this when I was having the rest of my problems so I thought it was something else. I don't even think I could use it since my truck is p pumped. I read that it defuels on the shifts. Thank everyone for all their suggestion! I have a lot of grounds to clean and an auxillary fuse box to wire in now. Thanks again!!

Last edited by MrNayoo; 03-13-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yea no worries glad to hear i know electical problems are the worst...