24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Raptor Pump or Injection Pump? Both? HELP ME OUT

Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor Pump or Injection Pump? Both? HELP ME OUT

So after changing my fuel filter and having a hell of a time getting it primed again, I got my truck started and left for Montana with a trailer load of steel. About an hour and a half into the trip the truck started just cot out. It didn't die, just cut power like I wasn't getting fuel. Dead pedal. Finally got it home today and realized the LP wasn't priming. Unplugged it and ran it through a fuse-able wire link to the battery. This got the pump running(sounds really week, but runs) and the truck runs too. But after about 5 minutes the fuse blew and the truck went back to running like ****. So i hard wired the pump directly to the battery. The truck seems to run perfectly fine now. Drove over to auto zone to get coded and I have two p0216's and on 1693 code. I know what these are, you don't need to explain them, but does this mean Ive fried my injection pump again or is it my lift pump not working that's caused these codes? Also what do I do now, run the LP to an ignition power source or get a new one? Sell the truck?(I'm really thinking about it. Too much $ to maintain these bastards)

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

improper lift pump voltage would be 0230 i beleive. most likely bad lp and vp dying. sorry to hear.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ive read that when these pumps get clogged up with gel from winter fuel they can cause this problem. It requires more power to run and causes the fuse to blow. Hooking it straight to a power source the pump works, sounds weak, but works and the truck will run. But I got the death code either way. I'm just wondering, hoping rather, if there's any chance the code tripped because of the lift pump failing and no damage has been done to the injection pump. These damn trucks are so expensive. Pretty sure I'm done with it after this. Just spent 4k rebuilding the tranny too, go figure!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, why be done with it, once you get the 2 areas upgraded on these trucks that are the weak points. Once you get this problem fixed it should last you a long time with proper maintenance. In my honest opinion, if your going to stick with a diesel the cummins is the cheapest by far to fix and build.

either way, hope you get it fixed. sounds like the other guys have you on the right track.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hunted down a air pocket on my raptor and it was in the body off the pump its self i actually took it off the mount and had some one hit the key bumpin the motor and shook the pump while it ran and it finaly gave me a consistant 18psi befor it was bouncing between 18 and 10

Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The reason I'm considering being done with it is because it's a piece of **** truck. The motor is awesome, but with 235k on the truck its getting pretty expensive to keep up with. Ive already replaced the injection pump and multiple lift pumps and it sounds like theyre all ready to go again. Replaced the ball joints and same deal, there ready to be replaced again. There's just too many things that go with these trucks and for me its been an extremely expensive truck to own. Since buying 4 years ago I've probably put around 10k into keeping it running and driving. Now stuffs failing again. I'm getting to be over it.

Is there any chance you can throw a 0216 code without actually damaging the injection pump? It there a chance that the lift pump shutting off suddenly and starving the vp44 would cause this code? The truck immediately runs poor as soon as the lift pump shuts off and I'm wondering if its not the actual injection pump that's bad, but rather the lift pump failing and causing the 0216 code.