24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fluctuating Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins24
in the fall I cleaned out the radiator core with carb and choke cleaner and blew out all the guts and caked oil. towards the bottom of the block on the drivers side the little tube for oil blow by is a little short but there is no bottle at the end of it. Should I put an extension on the tube so oil doesn't blow all on the block? I did notice the fan blades are a little caked too. The temp swings first happened when I had about a 5k pound load on going to east Texas. When I left it was normal but on the way back I noticed the higher temps. It doesn't boil over and my mileage hasn't changed so I don't think its running hot enough to hurt anything but I don't like it running hotter than it should.
How about a Custom CV???
Crankcase Vent

Custom Crankcase Vent

Stock breather issues...

The main issue with OEM crankcase vent is it is nothing more than a piece of hose mounted to the front of the gear case. The piece of hose elbows over the case and points down towards the ground. There are two versions of this crankcase. One involves a drip bottle mounted on the end of the hose and the other does not.
A Technical Service Bulleting (TSB) was released on this issue as well: TSB (09-002-02 Crankcase Breather Overflow). This bulletin warns of potential of extreme loss of oil from a truck descending at to steep of a slope while off-roading. During this loss of oil, oil also has been known to scatter all over the engine and radiator. This scattering of oil causes the collection of dust and dirt in the face of the radiator. This collection causes overheating issues for your truck.
Even in with normal use, the cases that include a breather bottle, can emit enough oil vapors make the radiator gunky with the collection dirt and dust.
Another TSB on this issue is: TSB 09-02-00 (A Heavy Oil Or Fuel-Like Odor Coming From the Diesel Engine Compartment). This bulletin was written about the foul heavy oil smell after a oil change. Although it is normal for some brand of oils to have this heavy smell anyway.

My own personal fix…

To fix this issue, I personally created my own venting system for 2nd generation Cummins’ engines. Since my design I have never lost any oil while off-roading.
When I first started creating my vent, I looked at one main simple principal. If the front of the truck is facing down hill, then the vent pipe end needs to be higher than the oil level at any angle. I did this by running the pipe up and over the top of the engine. Then I ran it back down the back side of the engine. So now, no matter how steep the hill, the end of the vent pipe will be higher.
Since the end of the pipe is under the truck by the transmission, there are no problems with cooling or radiator plugging. The heavy oil smell is also gone since the pipe is now under the truck.
I do not use rubber hose in my creation. Rubber heater hose will eventually break down and collapse. This will cause a build up of crankcase pressure and start oil leakage around seals, which is not a good thing!
One other thing to be aware of if creating your own is the length of the vent. If the vent pipe is to long, it might start freezing the water vapor in the hose/pipe before it exits the pipe. This can once again cause problems with crankcase pressure

Last edited by DB Admin; 05-08-2008 at 05:48 PM.