24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fluctuating Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fluctuating Engine Temp

The engine temp on my rig is fluctuating between 190* and probably 215*. The coolant is full and the radiator is clean. I replaced the thermostat and fan clutch last June, now the only other thing I can think of is a bad sending unit. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or replace to get it running back where it should? Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Most likely you need a thermostat.

Also, if you have any leaks at all, you can gt this condition. Or a weak radiator cap will also cause this.

Dave

Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If the radiator cap is weak would there be some leaks around it or how can i tell? I don't think I have any leaks in the hose because I'm not losing coolant. Since thermostats are cheap I'll give that a try. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Seth

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Usually a bad cap will have no outward effects. Meaning, they don't leak. They just don't hold enough pressure typically.

A rad shop can check a cap in about 2 minutes and let you know if it's bad.

Dave

Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins24
If the radiator cap is weak would there be some leaks around it or how can i tell? I don't think I have any leaks in the hose because I'm not losing coolant. Since thermostats are cheap I'll give that a try. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Seth

Do yourself a favor and get the stat from Cummins. Dont rely on a parts store for this item.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I called Cummins Southern Plains and got a stat from them. Thanks for the help guys

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Do yourself a favor and get the stat from Cummins. Dont rely on a parts store for this item.
I hyave had 3 bad T-stats from Cummins NW before buying a Mopar T-stat. They are clearly different, so I do not know if it is a rebadged part of not.

So far, Only the factory units seem to be holding up for me.

Dave

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Bad Cap...

Bad T-stat - I replace my t-stat every time I cahange coolant which happen to be every spring. So I normally don't see coolant system problems...

Or you got air trapped up in the coolant system yet... I typically se wild temp swings for about 1-2 days till all the air comes out of the coolant system. Usually see a fall in the level of the coolant in the bottle for about 2-3 days and quits...

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Sma't Alec!
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

How does the radiator look around the fan shroud? I'd make sure it's not caked with oil from the oil/pill bottle that sits on the front of the block. They get full, oil starts running out and sucked into the fan and it cakes/coates the radiator core.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

in the fall I cleaned out the radiator core with carb and choke cleaner and blew out all the guts and caked oil. towards the bottom of the block on the drivers side the little tube for oil blow by is a little short but there is no bottle at the end of it. Should I put an extension on the tube so oil doesn't blow all on the block? I did notice the fan blades are a little caked too. The temp swings first happened when I had about a 5k pound load on going to east Texas. When I left it was normal but on the way back I noticed the higher temps. It doesn't boil over and my mileage hasn't changed so I don't think its running hot enough to hurt anything but I don't like it running hotter than it should.

Quick Reply: Fluctuating Engine Temp