24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 Dodge 2500 "No Bus" but gauges work except voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge 2500 "No Bus" but gauges work except voltage?

Ive been reading several posts about the "No Bus" message in the odometer display but they all seem to loose there gauges as well and thats not what im experincing. I should start by telling you I just bought this 99 Dodge 2500 manual 5spd cummins (mfg dec of 99) about 3 weeks ago. I bought becouse the price was right and i beleved i could fix the major issues. The issues that were present when i bought were: leaking heater core/ vents stuck on defrost/ park brake not working properly/ cluster when running had abs light,brake light, airbag light, check engine light, windshield washer fluid light, seat belt light, voltage tak goes to 0 every once and a while until restarted, and No Bus in mileage display. Truck ran and shifted smooth with no issues and 4x4 responds as it should.
I have installed new heater core, new park break cable for drivers side rear (becouse of mfg date the cable was for a 2000 dodge and they had a 99 dodge cable on it - 99 cable was 55 inches and 2000 was 53 inches - most parts im buying have been bought for the 2000), changed both front and rear differentials (rear had water in it) re-tapped rear dfferential sensor cable (did not have lomb on it anymore), replaced several driveline parts including front hub assemblies, all u joints and 4x4 driveline, checked all vaccum lines for possble leaks and replaced 1 house on it that was britle ( metal vaccum lines going to transmison have a small ding from rock but its not leaking but possible crimped a little - unsure if thats causing an issue thoe). Air pump is working but not sure how to test to see if it has enough suction, and finaly gave it an oil change.
After all that the issues that remain are: vents still stuck on defrost/ No bus message when truck is running (mileage shows when vehicle is off thoe and vehicle runs fine with no issues), check engine light, airbag light. All gauges work except every once and a while the voltage tak will go to 0 until i shut off and restart. my main concern is the the No Bus and check engine light. I origanaly thougt it had a bad cluster but now that all the other lights are off after maintenance im doubting that?? any ideas or tests i can do would be greatly apriciated. Thanx in advance

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I Just hooked an OBII code reader/eraser and it said 0 codes??? im confused now? is it possible previous owner swapped cluster out with wrong one causing check engine light and No Bus message issues? if so how can i verify its wright or not? is mileage stored on the PCM or the Cluster?

Last edited by jooomoma; 12-13-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost