24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issues

Hey everyone!

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel with 220k miles (which is serviced regularly) that I have been having shifting issues with and am hoping that someone can help me.

The issue is that the transmission does not/will not shift to the next gear at random times and at random gears.

I had it taken to a dealership and it was diagnosed as a bad governor solenoid and sensor. I replaced both items and the transmission seemed sluggish at first but shifted fine. That lasted a month and the shifting issue started again.

Replaced the solenoid and sensor again along with the filter and new fluid put in..lasted about a month again before the issue came back.

Went ahead and replaced the sensor and solenoid and filter again, plus took the valve body off and cleaned thoroughly. Then took to a dealership and had the transmission flushed...again lasted about a month before the shifting issues started up.

I have noticed that it seems more prominent in the 1/2 shift and revving high then letting your foot off the throttle seems to be the best way to get it to shift, but its not always a proven method with the truck.

If anyone can please help me out on where to go next it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Was the shift bands adjusted?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 47RE Transmission Shift Issues - Possible Resolve

Diesel,

I am curious to understand more about the issue you mentioned regarding the lack of proper shifting. Just for clarity, you mentioned that the 1/2 upshift is more of a problem. That said, the 1/2 shift in the 47RE is a mechanical shift; the upshifts to 3rd, 4th, and OD are electronic.

Have you looked at the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor? This shift problem you mentioned is something we fought with our '99, '01, and '02 trucks that use the 47RE. The solution was to adjust the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor for the 1/2 shift, and for the other shifts (mainly the 4/5 and TC lock-up into OD), installed an electronic shift stabilizer to the COM Line that feeds off the ECM.

Also regarding the electronic shifts, make sure the auxilary battery ground cable that runs across the back of the alternator is zip-tied away from the alternator housing. You can see how to do this on YouTube.

If the auxilary ground gets too close to the alternator coils, the inductance created from the magnetic fields (electric alternator coils) may send false voltage readings to the ECM sensor causing the transmission to delay shifts (~ 1,400 to 1,500 RPM), or jump in and out of TC lock-up.

Check your battery and fuse junction connector grounds are clean, and making good contact. Clean all grounds if in doubt for the batteries, and 47RE COM-Line.

The locking and unlocking the TC clutch will cause the tach to jump. The fixes to this problem are in order of most frequent to least frequent solutions: clean the battery terminals (solves about 50%); replace batteries due to a bad cell (engine still cranks).

See if this helps. Good luck with it.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM

Yes. Every time I have performed a service I have checked/adjusted them when needed; and they were never really bad when I had to adjust them.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
Diesel,

I am curious to understand more about the issue you mentioned regarding the lack of proper shifting. Just for clarity, you mentioned that the 1/2 upshift is more of a problem. That said, the 1/2 shift in the 47RE is a mechanical shift; the upshifts to 3rd, 4th, and OD are electronic.

Have you looked at the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor? This shift problem you mentioned is something we fought with our '99, '01, and '02 trucks that use the 47RE. The solution was to adjust the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor for the 1/2 shift, and for the other shifts (mainly the 4/5 and TC lock-up into OD), installed an electronic shift stabilizer to the COM Line that feeds off the ECM.

Also regarding the electronic shifts, make sure the auxilary battery ground cable that runs across the back of the alternator is zip-tied away from the alternator housing. You can see how to do this on YouTube.

If the auxilary ground gets too close to the alternator coils, the inductance created from the magnetic fields (electric alternator coils) may send false voltage readings to the ECM sensor causing the transmission to delay shifts (~ 1,400 to 1,500 RPM), or jump in and out of TC lock-up.

Check your battery and fuse junction connector grounds are clean, and making good contact. Clean all grounds if in doubt for the batteries, and 47RE COM-Line.

The locking and unlocking the TC clutch will cause the tach to jump. The fixes to this problem are in order of most frequent to least frequent solutions: clean the battery terminals (solves about 50%); replace batteries due to a bad cell (engine still cranks).

See if this helps. Good luck with it.

I haven't thought about the accelerator before...we have had charging issues and such in the past with the truck but nothing major. I keep the batteries and terminals clean and have replaced the alt but never thought to check the wiring on the back...so I will, thanks!

What should I be looking for with the accelerator sensor? How do I adjust it? And I will definitely look into the shift stabilizer!

Last edited by dieselgirl01; 11-03-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Default 2001 Cummins 47RE TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)

Take alook at this video on YouTube; it will better explain the testing to determine if the TPS is needing replacement, and how to replace. By the way, I should have mentioned that the re-positioning process with the OE is limited since the TPS is a mechanical device internally. We ended up replacing ours on all four of the 2nd gen Cummins we own.

Also, I forgot to ask if your truck was showing any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). If codes are seen, this will help narrow the possible areas to further investigate. Hope this link clarifies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdaRDZMDuMQ

Last edited by jrconsultid; 11-03-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Re-listed link to YouTube
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 AM

No there are no codes stores in any modules...

Thanks for the video! I know what I will be doing this weekend

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Follow Up on TPS on 2nd Gen. Cummins

Well, glad to hear that there were no codes. Hopefully, you will be on the road soon.
Good luck, and glad to help. Keep us posted as to how is turns out.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Ok so here's an update...

I had been testing and inspecting the truck whenever I could. I have tested the TPS sensor (tested good) ran over and over wiring harnesses and cleaning wires/grounds.

Ended up having a fuel issue. Had to replace the transfer pump and when we did we came up with an internal error code for the injection pump...have not changed that out yet.

Could the injection pump not working correctly/not enough fuel pressure cause this shifting problem we are having?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my 99 . I replaced the TPS sen. A year ago when I was having a different shift problem . Now I hit a hard spot mid throttle and after that it doesn't want to shift from 1-2 it seems lik an electrical issue when it won't shift I put it in neutral then back to drive then it will shift again . I'm kinda thinking its a fuel problem . When it was the TPS sen. It would shift in and out of 3-4 around 45 mph . I want to put a lift pump on the truck any way I'll let you know if that helps . I will check that alternator wiring tho . I would have never thought of that !

Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselgirl01
Ok so here's an update...

I had been testing and inspecting the truck whenever I could. I have tested the TPS sensor (tested good) ran over and over wiring harnesses and cleaning wires/grounds.

Ended up having a fuel issue. Had to replace the transfer pump and when we did we came up with an internal error code for the injection pump...have not changed that out yet.

Could the injection pump not working correctly/not enough fuel pressure cause this shifting problem we are having?
What code is that?
I have bought new sensors at the dealer, found the box had been opened before. The part was bad and had trans fluid on it. Don't trust them. Best way is to put a pressure gauge on the trans to see what it was/is doing.

Quick Reply: Shifting Issues