24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cold Start Idle Haze - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold Start Idle Haze - Thoughts

Hello Everyone,

Background:

For the past 6 months my truck is no longer a DD, and i mainly use it for the weekends or trips that require a truck. My truck can sit between 1-2 weeks before being driven, and I am now very good at giving it the once over before starting up (check all fluids and overall health). Upon startup, it always idles for 2-3 mins, followed by 1/4 throttle- about 5psi boast til first thermostat open.

Concern:

I have noticed as of late (maybe just paying close attention) that after starting, i am getting a slight haze for 3-15 secs after start up. I get the initial puff, followed by this light haze then clear. I tried to video the haze, but it wouldn't show up on video (have to view from an angle).

I use PS every fill up at the recommend amount, truck always fires right up on a half crank (even in 32* temps), idle/revs smooth, no knock and never smokes/hazes besides this first time start up after siting.

I am thinking its either a sign that injectors may need to be addressed in the near future or my grid heater is on its way out.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What color is the haze? I drive mine every day 90 miles round trip to work. Its been at 10 degrees when I leave work and it stays plugged in the whole. It also is idling at about 1400 RPM. I also have a haze at initial start up. Clears up in a minute though. Its common for cold weather. I'd only really worry bout it if it would continue while driving after warm up.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

haze is nothing to worry about.

at least you don't have constant haze like mine . but mine is caused by very large injectors. it hazes warm or cold 80% of the time..

Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say but what you stated it sounds like you are perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Diesel doesn't like cold weather as much and because of the cold all the fuel doesn't burn as well as it would if the engine were warm. 15 seconds is completly normal.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdz24v
What color is the haze? I drive mine every day 90 miles round trip to work. Its been at 10 degrees when I leave work and it stays plugged in the whole. It also is idling at about 1400 RPM. I also have a haze at initial start up. Clears up in a minute though. Its common for cold weather. I'd only really worry bout it if it would continue while driving after warm up.
Its odd, I could not describe the color because its more of a clear haze if that makes any sense. If you stand right next to the exhaust you can't really see it, but the further you walk back (say 10ft). That is when you notice that there is a "haze" coming out of the tail pipe because there is visible, yet colorless cloud.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by AMS247
I would say but what you stated it sounds like you are perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Diesel doesn't like cold weather as much and because of the cold all the fuel doesn't burn as well as it would if the engine were warm. 15 seconds is completly normal.
It just seemed odd, since its not even that "cold".

When I use to DD it, I never noticed it but now I am starting too. It has only hazed 2 out of the last 5 starts, which lead me to think it was starting to show signs of a part being worn. Something to do with the extended time it sits.

Average temp for the last 5 starts (roughly 2 weeks in-between drives)

- Night = 30's
- Day = 40-50

Last edited by CrazyDog; 12-14-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

30s-50s is cold for a diesel...

diesels love summer weather and they love running on a warm/hot engine. cold engine they don't perform as well, they are louder, and they don't start as easily.

combustable fuels burn better when they are warm.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jigabop
30s-50s is cold for a diesel...

diesels love summer weather and they love running on a warm/hot engine. cold engine they don't perform as well, they are louder, and they don't start as easily.

combustable fuels burn better when they are warm.
x2

The grid heaters on our trucks will engage below 69*. So if you think about it, they're designed to activate at that temp range because even that is just not what a diesel engines likes. 30*-50* is right in that relm for the grid heaters to turn on for 10 seconds.

It could be the more you're looking the more you're noticing. It could have always been hazing in that temp range. Sort of like when you work on your truck and then during the first test drives you might worry yourself because you may hear a bunch of "unusual" sounds, when the main reason you've never noticed those sounds was because you never payed that much attention before.

Colorless haze is completly normal