24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

so i just bought a 98 24v 2500 head/reverse lights-speedo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i just bought a 98 24v 2500 head/reverse lights-speedo

hi errbody i purchased a 98 24v 2500 from craigslist and like with every great deal the drive home was full of fun discoverys like the fiberglass topper not haveing a key or the hitch pin for that matter, but what im really concerned with is the headlights failing intermittently and the lack of a spedometer, as well as the lights that show you what your backing into at night all of this is critical since the vehicle is for my moma to replace her minivan if anyone can point me in the right direction or help me diagnose these issues i would appreciate it i want this truck to be reliable for my mom since her van was such a good warpony

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thanks in advance to all the experienced guys and gals here who make this comunity so awesome. im shure these issues will be replace by others as i get to know this truck better like i said to my mom. better to have a vehicle that is built for what you want it to do than wonder why a smaller car is in the shop all the time. i hope this can be a vehicle that she can invest in and have a reliable ride rather than pushing something elts and barely keeping it alive. any tips or pointers are welcome, the probs i hav allready mentioned are my first priority but i look foreward to this being the family project truck

Last edited by juanerspajamers; 08-03-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Check all the connections, grounds, reverse lights could be as simple as blown bulbs or corroded plugs. So first check all the simple stuff first then go from there. Headlights it could be the switch or a bad ground. Hard to say without doing some testing first. speedo is properly a bad ground. How many miles are on the truck? the speed sensors could be broke etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the reply barryB trying to decide if i should keep it

the newest developement i have encountered is the odo being tied to the speedo, the odo numbers havent changed at all from what the guy declared on the title to home wich is 600mi difference so at this point i dont know the actual mileage somewhere above 260,000 but i dont know how much dude drove it with the speedo boogered. my mom had been himing and hawing about the truck so i told her that an odo discrepancy is reason to get the state police involved and go get money back guy asked 6000 we payed 5250 but since the truck runs great and the fella was a family/ military man (airforce) i reminded my mom that it would cost another trip and this guy may have allready spent the money either way it would not be going easy sweet we are chooseing to adopt the truck for better or worse and use it as a platform to build onto

is there any way to determine mileage other than the odometer when i fix the speedo will the odo start again from where it was or will it come up to current mileage
failing that is there a way to go over this thing and determine overall engine health most importantly for core parts as little knicknacks will be replaced as part of the buildup

thinking of re nameing this thread to DID I GET ROOKED all input is greatly appreciated what would you do in this situation looking for feedback did i get a gem with lipstick problems or should i be wareing the lipstick as i have just been reamed 98 24v doesnt blow black smoke when you step on the gass for 5250 from a serviceman would you call the cops and return it over a mileage discrepancy???

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Im shure alot of these questions have been answered in other threads i will do my reading but links suggested reading material and being poi.ted in the right direction will be a great help thank you all

Last edited by juanerspajamers; 08-06-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the headlight issue is most likely the head light switch, I've replaced 2 in 2 different trucks, so... it takes a tamper proof torx to do hat job. the simplest check for the speedo would be to look at the rear axle, see if the plug is intact and clean. that sensor takes a lot of road abuse, even with that little wimpy guard they have on it.

does it have factory trailer wiring? that's where i'd start investigating the reverse lights, if it's not bulbs. next most likely place is the reverse switch.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently a dead thread, I wonder how it all worked out.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 AM
Received 9,670 Likes on 6,381 Posts

The OP hasn't log in since 01-07-2015 02:44 PM

Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess he figured it out, Thank you for the reply
Kerley