24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

please help.... terrible clunking noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help.... terrible clunking noise while turning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello everybody, usually I can figure out this kind of stuff by reading all these forums and using my good friend Google... but this time it seems like the more info I get the more problems I have

So I have a 2001 dodge ram cummins 2500 4x4 5spd with a D60 up front and levelling kit... a little while back I started getting a binding kind of snapping noise when turning sharply at low speeds, it almost felt like it was stuck in 4x4... I should add this only happens while under load, so usually from take off if im turning sharp in 1st or 2nd gear I will get this noise but it will go away if I press in the clutch or pull it out of gear..

My first suspect was the CAD system being stuck engaged, I took that all apart and tested and everything seems fine there (I also had my gf drive the truck while I watched underneath to make sure the front driveshaft was not turning)...After hours of reading online everything has pointed me towards the wheel-hub assembly or axle u-joints.... well today I got a chance to put the front of the truck in the air... I grabed the tires and tried moving them any direction and there is no play... next I got down with a pry-bar and tried prying on the axle u-joints in all directions but they seem nice and tight as well

another thing that is stumping me is after reading as much as I could and watching videos of people working on the front of these trucks it shows the brake rotors being pressed together with the hub assembly and actually being a real pain to get off..... well not mine! when I took my brake caliper off, my rotor was just sitting on the studs and I can just pull it off with no effort

That's as far as I got tonight as it is dark now so I figured I would write this out and hope someone has some ideas for me

any help or suggestions will be appreciated

cheers..

Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you 100% sure it is coming from the front end?

The rear diff's are bad about making noise when turning if fiction modifier isn't used in the limited slip diff's. Almost as bad as a locker unit.

Just a thought

Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kogee!

Try jacking front wheels off the ground and turning wheels off-center then try to turn wheels and see if Axle joints are binding, These joints can some times be hard to diagnose but they will not nessecarily have visible play if they are creaking/popping, what you are describing is classic axle joint issues.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 dartman .. also check real close for 'rust" dust around caps as you roll the wheel

Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I

Originally Posted by kogee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello everybody, usually I can figure out this kind of stuff by reading all these forums and using my good friend Google... but this time it seems like the more info I get the more problems I have

So I have a 2001 dodge ram cummins 2500 4x4 5spd with a D60 up front and levelling kit... a little while back I started getting a binding kind of snapping noise when turning sharply at low speeds, it almost felt like it was stuck in 4x4... I should add this only happens while under load, so usually from take off if im turning sharp in 1st or 2nd gear I will get this noise but it will go away if I press in the clutch or pull it out of gear..

My first suspect was the CAD system being stuck engaged, I took that all apart and tested and everything seems fine there (I also had my gf drive the truck while I watched underneath to make sure the front driveshaft was not turning)...After hours of reading online everything has pointed me towards the wheel-hub assembly or axle u-joints.... well today I got a chance to put the front of the truck in the air... I grabed the tires and tried moving them any direction and there is no play... next I got down with a pry-bar and tried prying on the axle u-joints in all directions but they seem nice and tight as well

another thing that is stumping me is after reading as much as I could and watching videos of people working on the front of these trucks it shows the brake rotors being pressed together with the hub assembly and actually being a real pain to get off..... well not mine! when I took my brake caliper off, my rotor was just sitting on the studs and I can just pull it off with no effort

That's as far as I got tonight as it is dark now so I figured I would write this out and hope someone has some ideas for me

any help or suggestions will be appreciated

cheers..
8/29/17
have you had any luck finding the problem? my 2001 6 speed starting doing the same thing today ive gone through the same steps as you and im pretty stumped.
thanks nick!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Prying the disc from the hub sounds like the 99' and prior years. Didn't the 2000 and later years have the front disc that would slide off without removing the front hubs? Please correct me if I am wrong.