24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Torque converter lockup switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter lockup switch ?

I'm looking to put a torque converter lockup switch in my truck but Im skeptical. Will this hurt my transmission? And I wouldn't want to always have to worry about the switch. There has to be a way I could wore up two switches. One that would allow me to put it where it either uses the stock relay and locks normal, and also allows to flip that same switch which would run to another switch allowing me to lock and unlock the torque converter. Any ideas will this work? Or does one switch do this?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes it would work. I have one on my truck and love it.
It won't hurt transmission,just remember to turn it off when your coming to a stop cause the transmission doesn't like it.
I have a two position switch on mine,one spot that works the lock up, and one that work the exhaust break.
Plus it's a nice little play toy.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

1 switch does this. you can lock manual or unlock it where it goes back to working like stock. being able to keep your tc locked helps the tranny.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by diesel pap
1 switch does this. you can lock manual or unlock it where it goes back to working like stock. being able to keep your tc locked helps the tranny.
I thought if you instal one switch it allows you to unlock and lock it only. But what you are saying is putting one switch in allows me to lock it, and if i flip the switch off it goes back to stock and locks by itself? If this is true can somebody tell me how to wire this switch in?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I don't want to take the trans relay out is pretty much what I'm saying. I want to be able to lock it, but I want to flip the switch up to lock it and when I flip it down I want it to lock by itself using the stock relay. The reason I want this is because having it Unlocked all the time creates heat. And if somebody drives my truck I don't want then to forget it's unlocked and burn anything up. So I want to be able to lock it but never have it totally unlocked in the last gear.

Last edited by 24vklugger33; 04-26-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

IF you tap into the tcc cntrl wire at the pcm and do not break the circuit then you run a wire to a switch and the other side of the switch to a good ground then you are only supplying an alternate ground to the solenoid basically over riding/bypassing the pcm. It will still work normally via the ground through the pcm or you can manually supply the ground to engage tcc lockup when the pcm wouldn't normally do so.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Alright the sounds like it will work thanks! The wire is the b11 black and orange wire correct?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I think that's right one, I remember black and orange wire don't remember which connector tho

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

BD makes a lockup switch called a torqloc. It has built in safeties to unlock your trans if you forget to hit the switch. Have it on my 01 for my exhaust brake and love it.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry, i forgot to mention the one 01trailerpuller is talking about is the same one i have on my truck. The bd torque lock.
I love it.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Okay I have been looking around and I'm wondering if tapping only into the orange and black wire will set off any codes? If I put a resistor in to be safe would that ensure a code won't be set off?

Quick Reply: Torque converter lockup switch ?