24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Battery opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery opinions

Well ive never had a problem with optimas but here is my first. My optimas are just turning 3 and they are failing in this cold weather. Wanted to know whats the best battery for the buck these days? Not sure i wanna pay the high peice for optimas since these dudnt last very long

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I run interstates and I have nothing but good to say about them.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard a lot on the new optimas have lots of problems and dying pretty much right after the warranty is up. It all depends where you live. Really cold climates should have a bigger battery with more cca's. You can accomplish the same with either battery but one will just have a easier time doing it. There is a lot of opinions on them. Some guys are moving up to group 31 batts. Some are using CAT batteries,some are using everstarts from walmart. From what all I have read interstates seems to be really liked in these trucks. I've never ran a duralast batt in a diesel but all our gassers have duralast gold's in them and they have been great.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what size they are or what model or whatever but I have had my truck for a year now and it came with an old optima and an old duralast. Have no idea how old but they look beat to sh*t but they start just fine in the morning. Coldest mornings where I am are line 35 degrees. Not too cold but cold. Kind of a general opinion but just thought might help.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fyi you shouldnt run 2 different batteries in our trucks. They will drain off each other and it also puts strain on your electrical system

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay. Thx Rammit. Kinda wondered if that was a no no but never had a problem so didnt bother. Like I said though, it came that way. But thx again will fix soon.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look into the diehard platnums 4 year free replacement warranty... a total 100 months... my buddywas having issues with his 6.0 with batteries and we popped those in a few years back and still running just fine and he runs a nice system in it aswell... he says it even made a difference in his subs and amp... it wasnt starving for power.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H.R.D
I run interstates and I have nothing but good to say about them.
^^^ What he said!

2 years runnin strong up here in Alaska.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I just put two Interstate marine batteries in a few months ago, dual screw top terminals and 1000ca's. Also made a new custom harness out of all 1/o cable, 3:1 heat shrink and coated the connections with that red protectant. I have no idea how long they'll last, but I've been very impressed with them so far. And in single digits it fires off so fast I can't even hear it crank.

I also have a 2ga jumper cable kit hard wired to the passenger battery, and used it to jump start one of our payloaders the other day, so these batteries have some serious *****. With my old NAPA Gold stock replacement batteries I could barely jump another diesel pickup.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cody Cummins
Well ive never had a problem with optimas but here is my first. My optimas are just turning 3 and they are failing in this cold weather. Wanted to know whats the best battery for the buck these days? Not sure i wanna pay the high peice for optimas since these dudnt last very long
I have run caterpillar batteries in my truck for 4 yrs. they have never died and have consistently started my truck in -10 degree weather. they are on the pricey side but will last you a very long time, they make batteries for almost every kind of truck u can think of!

Quick Reply: Battery opinions