Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Battery opinions (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/109076-battery-opinions.html)

Cody Cummins 02-13-2013 12:08 PM

Battery opinions

Well ive never had a problem with optimas but here is my first. My optimas are just turning 3 and they are failing in this cold weather. Wanted to know whats the best battery for the buck these days? Not sure i wanna pay the high peice for optimas since these dudnt last very long

H.R.D 02-13-2013 12:27 PM

I run interstates and I have nothing but good to say about them.

Ramitt 02-14-2013 02:05 AM

I've heard a lot on the new optimas have lots of problems and dying pretty much right after the warranty is up. It all depends where you live. Really cold climates should have a bigger battery with more cca's. You can accomplish the same with either battery but one will just have a easier time doing it. There is a lot of opinions on them. Some guys are moving up to group 31 batts. Some are using CAT batteries,some are using everstarts from walmart. From what all I have read interstates seems to be really liked in these trucks. I've never ran a duralast batt in a diesel but all our gassers have duralast gold's in them and they have been great.

jdepuy618 02-14-2013 09:00 PM

I have no idea what size they are or what model or whatever but I have had my truck for a year now and it came with an old optima and an old duralast. Have no idea how old but they look beat to sh*t but they start just fine in the morning. Coldest mornings where I am are line 35 degrees. Not too cold but cold. Kind of a general opinion but just thought might help.

Ramitt 02-14-2013 09:09 PM

Fyi you shouldnt run 2 different batteries in our trucks. They will drain off each other and it also puts strain on your electrical system

jdepuy618 02-14-2013 09:15 PM

Okay. Thx Rammit. Kinda wondered if that was a no no but never had a problem so didnt bother. Like I said though, it came that way. But thx again will fix soon.

GrizzlyBear3457 02-15-2013 10:50 PM

I would look into the diehard platnums 4 year free replacement warranty... a total 100 months... my buddywas having issues with his 6.0 with batteries and we popped those in a few years back and still running just fine and he runs a nice system in it aswell... he says it even made a difference in his subs and amp... it wasnt starving for power.

AlaskanRenegade 02-16-2013 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by H.R.D (Post 988243)
I run interstates and I have nothing but good to say about them.

^^^ What he said! :c:

2 years runnin strong up here in Alaska.

JBearSVT 02-16-2013 07:22 AM

I just put two Interstate marine batteries in a few months ago, dual screw top terminals and 1000ca's. Also made a new custom harness out of all 1/o cable, 3:1 heat shrink and coated the connections with that red protectant. I have no idea how long they'll last, but I've been very impressed with them so far. And in single digits it fires off so fast I can't even hear it crank.

I also have a 2ga jumper cable kit hard wired to the passenger battery, and used it to jump start one of our payloaders the other day, so these batteries have some serious balls. With my old NAPA Gold stock replacement batteries I could barely jump another diesel pickup.

Antlerking 02-17-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Cummins (Post 988237)
Well ive never had a problem with optimas but here is my first. My optimas are just turning 3 and they are failing in this cold weather. Wanted to know whats the best battery for the buck these days? Not sure i wanna pay the high peice for optimas since these dudnt last very long

I have run caterpillar batteries in my truck for 4 yrs. they have never died and have consistently started my truck in -10 degree weather. they are on the pricey side but will last you a very long time, they make batteries for almost every kind of truck u can think of! :tu: