24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

alternator/ regulator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator/ regulator problems?

my 01 dodge trucks battery gauge has been goin haywire for a few days now, started off dropping from 14 to 0 while i was driving, so i pulled over and i had a lil play in my + cable on my main battery. after i tightened it the guage went back up and all was well.... for about a mile. its been going back and forth while i drive so i figured it was a loose connection somewhere. now my truck wont start and batt is dead, (replaced both batterys 1 yr ago) and all my connections are clean and tight unless i have some random broken wire i cant find? Iv been told there was a problem with the first alternators used on gen IIs and mine was manufactured in 1-00. does this sound like my alternator is just shot or something else? do these have a built in regulator? any help would be appreciated so i dont start replacing the wrong parts. thanks-

Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Will it start with a jump?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Haven't got it srarted but It was turnin over, just not quite enough juice so I got tge batterys on a charger for the night. If I understand right I think it has a built in regulator that im told is known for failure. Now my cousin had a '93 12v with this probkem and after his 3rd alternator his mechanic wired in a Ford regulatorto the old alternator. Any idea if I can do this on my 01 and if so what sorta regulator would it take?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Diesel Fan

The voltage regulator is in the PCM. Do a search for external voltage regulator modification, and you should find instructions on how to wire in an external voltage regulator. I can't remember who has it at the moment, but there is a kit to do the modification.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Diesel Fan

I just got it fixed today, had new brushes & bearings put in the alternator and new ends on all my cables. Got'er runnin like a champ now. Btw I priced new battery cables @ my dealer.... its a freaking joke. Over $600 for a set . I know damn well copper aint THAT high .