24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Roaring noise while driving, not from front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SPORT
Just one more thing to look at... I have had the same issue over the last few months. However, the roaring was only when I let off the throttle. Yesterday the roar got worse and I climbed under the beast looking for a bad U joint. What I found, by grabbing the U joint directly behind the transfer case and pushing up on it, was the transfer case mounting bolts were coming loose! Very little, but it was just enough to cause some wicked vibration in the cab. I'm happy to report a very smooth running truck today. I'm so glad this fix was this easy. I hope you sort your problem out quick.
Cheers
Thanks 02SPORT,

I still haven't figured this problem out. U joints are tight, and no matter how hard I push or pull on anything there is no play. There IS what seems to be excessive play if I grab the driveshaft and move it back and forth, the way it would move under power. I am going to drop the shaft and hand turn the rear differential, and see if it's the pinion bearing. I have spent hours researching this, and can't find any videos, or posts that describe what's going on. I sounds just like a bad wheel bearing. That's what is leading me to think its a bearing somewhere.

By the way, over 30 mph it roars on and off the throttle.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Carrier bearing

Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
Carrier bearing
Isn't a carrier bearing only on 2 piece driveshafts? This is a solid, one piece shaft.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999CUMMINS4X4
Isn't a carrier bearing only on 2 piece driveshafts? This is a solid, one piece shaft.
Yes, didn't realize yours was a one piece

Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Diesel Fan

Update

The roar/squeal is coming from from the transmission. Still sounds just like a bad or dry bearing. Seems to happen the worst when I hit overdrive. Turn O/D off, and sound is drastically reduced. Done some digging, can't really find any body else that has had this. Any ideas? Could it just be in need of a fluid change? To be honest, out of all the work I have done to this truck, I have never changed the tranny fluid on it. And, has never been changed (I know because it was grandfather's truck before I bought it from him). Has 105k miles on it. The truck is bone stock other than an intake, and has not been "hot rodded" or abused. Tows and hauls a little here and there, nothing super major.

Last edited by 1999CUMMINS4X4; 03-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluid change couldn't hurt. You indicated the fluid hasn't been changed in an unknown amount of time. When was the last time you checked the level? A half-full torque converter will make noises like a roar as the fluid and air cavitate inside it, especially when you let off the accelerator or lower the RPM's by turning on O/D. As the tranny pump slows, the converter empties. Hope you're not looking at a rebuild!

BTW, you and JBearSVT described some questionable diagnosis actions. Yours, jacking the rear end up and running the drivetrain to 40 MPH, was nowhere near as dangerous and his, "so I rolled across the parking lot hanging out of the truck looking underneath". WOW! Made me laugh and cringe at the same time! I can't believe you guys haven't visited your local ER's! Careful fella's!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by toughtoy4x4
Fluid change couldn't hurt. You indicated the fluid hasn't been changed in an unknown amount of time. When was the last time you checked the level? A half-full torque converter will make noises like a roar as the fluid and air cavitate inside it, especially when you let off the accelerator or lower the RPM's by turning on O/D. As the tranny pump slows, the converter empties. Hope you're not looking at a rebuild!

BTW, you and JBearSVT described some questionable diagnosis actions. Yours, jacking the rear end up and running the drivetrain to 40 MPH, was nowhere near as dangerous and his, "so I rolled across the parking lot hanging out of the truck looking underneath". WOW! Made me laugh and cringe at the same time! I can't believe you guys haven't visited your local ER's! Careful fella's!
I have had the truck for about 5 years. It is a 99. The fluid has never been changed. Fluid level is fine. It doesn't smell burnt, or or look discolored. I am taking it to the trusted tranny shop on Monday and see what they diagnose it as.

I had the truck on jack stands and the front wheels chocked when I ran it to 40....still got a little white knuckled doing it though!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by toughtoy4x4
I guess compared to hanging off my supersport down the highway in traffic at 75mph+, hanging out of my truck at 5mph in a wide open, private parking lot just doesn't seem all that dangerous.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Diesel Fan

UPDATE:

Had to get a full tranny rebuild. A c-clip in the O/D tail let loose and fed it's way through the rest of the transmission, destroying everything. At first it was just the overdrive acting up. I took it to the shop and test drove it with the owner of the shop, and we lost 3rd, then the tranny went into neutral. Had to shut off and re-start several times to get back to the shop! Got an upgraded torque converter and all new guts, runs like a champ now!