1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

hood stack opinions/pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood stack opinions/pics?

well i am about to order some mods for my truck, get it painted, maybe redo interior, bedliner, etc...

I already have a 6 inch stack but im thinkin this truck would look sick with a hood stack. anybody got pics or opinions on how i should run it?(miter cut, straight, length of it, etc.)

excited about my mods so looking forward to your input

Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

other then the fact that they r illegal in most states, a 6 inch chrome straight cut about a foot out of the hood would be cool

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Diesel Fan

I built my hood stack for my '92 back in February. I drive the truck every day here in Idaho, and have not been pulled over......yet(knock on wood). I get a lot of interesting looks and thumbs up from people.

Hood stack build thread can be located here:

1st Gen Hood Stack Build - Idaho Turbo Diesels

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than the fact that you're needlessly cutting up a hood, you're just giving the police a reason to pull you over and give you a ticket. I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driven truck.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

IMO hood stacks belong on the dirt not the street. Second they look idiotic rolling down the highway.

The following users liked this post:
bill-d-c (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fully support it...i think they r sick looking...just check your states vehicle restrictions and keep proof in ur glove box of its legalness(?) so if u get pulled over... they cant ticket you

Relentless (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Diesel Fan

if you dont like them then that is fine, its not your truck so dont worry about it. for those of you who like them, i agree. Im planning on 6inch but not sure how long yet...and no they are not legal here but yes i do know people who have been running them for years with no trouble with the law.

Plus it is very easy to find a second hood for cheap. paint it and have it as a back up incase i wanna run the regular stack again. its no big deal.

And thanks for the buildthread. Im looking it over now. how much it cost you in the end?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

Every state law I have seen about exhaust has been illegal to have exhaust exiting in front of the cab. Most read exhaust must exit rearward of the cab, or be above the roof line of the cab.

And also, IMO any truck running around with a hood stack on a daily driver is phuking retarded. Hood stack is for competition uses only. I ur running around with one on the street, I bet ur not make ing any where close to 500hp.

H.R.D (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by trentowens92
if you dont like them then that is fine, its not your truck so dont worry about it. for those of you who like them, i agree. Im planning on 6inch but not sure how long yet...and no they are not legal here but yes i do know people who have been running them for years with no trouble with the law.

Plus it is very easy to find a second hood for cheap. paint it and have it as a back up incase i wanna run the regular stack again. its no big deal.

And thanks for the buildthread. Im looking it over now. how much it cost you in the end?

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks regarding a hood stack....I know I sure don't . I've gotten tons of positive responses around my area from my hood stack. Total cost involved was maybe $15 for the 4" pipe from NAPA, bought 3 feet of it. I don't consider my build time to be part of the cost factor.

Bottom line, it is your truck. You do what you want to it .

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

just about everything us diesel enthusiests do is "phuking retarded" but that hasnt stopped us yet. how is the idea of a hood stack stupid? its been done many times. its actually kind of unique for a daily driven truck. who cares if he isnt pushing 900 HP or pulling a sled. the way i see it. we all paid good money for our trucks. i paid for my truck and if i want to put a stack through the roof out of the passenger seat i could

i like the looks of hood stacks, and almost bought one for mine, i was just nervous about my torching abilities and messing up my hood.

and as far as legality goes, its illegal to have a turbo back exhaust (no cat) and also noise pollution if your not careful with no muffler. a hood stack is just as illegal as that. no less/no more. id say go for it! be different!

Relentless (07-25-2012)

Quick Reply: hood stack opinions/pics?