1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

518 Trans Build.... Best Parts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 518 Trans Build.... Best Parts???

Well I tried selling my 91.5 W350 single wheel the other day and just my luck while the guy took it on a test drive the trans crapped out...... When you come up to a stop sign and have your foot on the brake the truck still tries to go and if you keep your foot on the brake and hold it it'll lug the motor down and kill it. What could be causeing it? It really only does it when the trans is hot or warmed up.

My plans are to just keep the truck now and sink more money into it and start by rebuilding the trans.

Plans are to...
Get It Rebuilt
BD Torque converter
BD Valve Body
Transgo Shift Kit
BD Deep Trans Pan

Also whats a good rebuild kit I could buy?? or would just the stock kit be good enough??? And Whats the best Aftermarket trans cooler?

Any Suggestions?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're gonna get a BD valve-body, a shift kit would be redundant and could possibly negate any improvements seen with the BD valve-body. (That's if you can get a built A518 valve-body. If anybody offers one, they're most likely gonna require you to send your existing VB to be rebuilt as there isn't a big enough market to regularly stock such).
- For the most part, an extra deep pan isn't going to be worth the money spent. Invest that money in an auxiliary cooler. > Don't remove the fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger under the turbo as it far out performs any typical fan assisted cooler.

For that matter, if you're gonna sell the truck, just have a local trans shop rebuild it with a basic rebuild kit, and buy a stock build torque converter (you'll want a new/rebuilt converter to keep the trash from this burn-up from contaminating the new rebuild. Any shop worth anything is not gonna warrant the trans without a remanufactured converter anyway).

Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I was just going to order the TC and the VB and everything else from places then take the truck and the parts to a really good trans shop here near by and have them rebuild it then sent the cores in.

I have little knowledge on transmissions and the coolers. Whats the fluid to fluid exhanger? And I looked under the turbo I dont see what your talking about. All my truck has now is a cooler by the radiator. And I'm going to keep the truck and build up the motor now so i'm wanting to build a good transmission for it. I was thinking about puttin a new trans cooler up by the radiator then put in a new aluminium radiator and new bigger intercooler as i'm going to be upgrading my turbo and fuel. Also i'm probly going to add electric fans.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

What's the BEST way to keep my trans cool?

Last edited by flyingcrodeo; 07-01-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Figured out my transmission problem, Bad lock up sylinoid. $80 parts

Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingcrodeo
Figured out my transmission problem, Bad lock up sylinoid. $80 parts
A518 is a non lock up trans....

Sent from my DROIDX

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a local shop world trans rebuild mine. Works great but i did more then what was needed alto red eagle clutches.Kolene steels kevlar bands sonnax kit b&m double deep pan harden intermediate shaft (came with the core i had to buy another as i rolled a sprag and broke the case came from a pulling 1st gen guy melted the clutches together.) upgraded sprags line pressure turned up made a bigger trans cooler. Wish i had got a goreand converter tho. Over a year and alot more power added and its still holding

Sent from my DROIDX

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had a plain jane 518 trans built with a shift kit and such. when ambient temp is lower the trans seems to slip "more." my fuel mileage drops about 3 - 5 Mpgs. and if i have a head wind, good luck. i recently put some 315/75/16's on the truck and i'm pretty sure i have 3.55 gears. would the increased load be causing the TC to work harder and lower my mpg since the big tires? by the way this is all with the bigger tires calculated for.

the question is, is my torque converter shot already or did i not get a very good one? anyone else have this result. and what could i do to improve it short of a 47rh lockup?

Last edited by CUMMINStagetcha19; 07-04-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Oh..... Well I talked to a transmission shop and the guy said that its the lockup sylinoid. But i dont know anything about these transmissions. And he ran off alotta numbers and talking about the transmission and stuff that i didnt know what he was talkin about and the guy seems to know what he's talkin about.