1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help fuel problems again frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help fuel problems again frustrated

Ok thanks for the help last month when I was broke down in Georgia. Here is what I have. I was driving (45mph) the other day and my truck just quit, just before it came to a stop I was able to restart it and drove home. Two days later I was driving and it quit again, I coasted to a parking spot and messed with it awhile to no avail so I got a tow truck to bring it home. I noticed when I bled the line at the filter with the lp primer I had air in the line, I pumped it until is was pure fuel and tightened back up. Then proceeded to bleed the injectors they also seemed to have alot of air, I noticed the fuel shot up about 5-6 inches high from the nut I believe it shot to the hood last time like I don't have pressure in the lines. I put a new lp on last month and it has been running great up until now. I checked for cracks or leaks at the fittings for the lp looks perfect. I did use the thread stuff on the fittings also so I wouldn't have to worry about over tightening. I checked my lines all the way to the top of the fuel tank and they look good. I have good 12 volts going to fss and it was replaced 2 months ago. I also changed my filter today still nothing. I cut open my old filter and it was near perfectly clean no water. My filter is staying totally full just getting air somewhere. When I was looking at the top of my fuel tank where the lines go in there is a little elbow to the front that looks like some kind of vent and it looks to be clogged not sure how to take it off though. I figured I would take my fuel cap off and vent it still can't get it to start doesn't even try to start now I think my starter is going south. Barely turns over after charging for 3 hours with 12.30 volts. I am so frustrated at this point so I hope someone can help. What happens when the injection pump goes. I am hoping it didn't but know I am thinking that may be my problem. I did turn my fuel screw in awhile back also and could not get my idle down so I unscrewed it quite a bit and nothing happened so now I wonder if something was stuck in and finally went back and I don't have enough pressure now. I know I have probably left something out that I have done. If I can remember anything else I will post. Any ideas from experienced people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a fuel flow test out of the lift pump, then Injection pump to see how much flow you have some times the injection pump will go out and it wont start. as for the air in the lines I would just look over the lines and all of the connectors.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Diesel Fan
Default fuel issues again //// update fixed almost

Ok I figured before I drop the tank to check for leaks I would take the fss out and gut it. I have been holding off since I was getting air between the lp and filter still don't know why it was there but I gutted the switch and fired right up.
Had 3 injectors loose and what a mess. Only problem is I had to use a chisel to break the fss loose now it is leaking at the top between the metal and plastic. but it is running I can tell it is probably sucking air at the fss but seems to start fine. But I am hanging a little so I will back out the fuel screw a bit more. I guess I am going to join the choke cable club to shut down. The reason I hesitated to gutting the fss is I just replaced it about 2 months ago with a new one and it was clicking with 12 volts. Very frustrating when you have owned gas engines all your life and switch to a diesel. I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and ideas, I would not be able to fix it myself without your help.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Keep us updated, if you run into any problems just shoot me a message bud

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok I ordered a new fss and I am just going to keep it gutted with a choke cable cut off.
I figured this would be a lot easier to diagnose next time I have any problems, since I had 2 of the switches go out in 3 months. Everything seems to be fine now I drove around yesterday with no problems. I just got my aid dog fp100 yesterday, I am excited to put it on even though truck is running great. I was hoping the kit would fix my problem when I thought I was sucking air. Still haven't figured out where the air came from and I can't get air in the lines to save my life now. Thanks again Happy 4th/

Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Backflow? Small crack that sealed itself? We will probably never know!
Good to hear you've got it going, once I can find a job I found a 92 d250 cummins with low miles and he only wants $4,000 so I'll have two first gens hopefully in a few weeks! I'm keeping my old one factory and I'm gonna mod the hell out of that 92

Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Cool just to update again no problems with the fuel running great. I just got my new solenoid but I think I am going to keep it manual shut off. Hope you can get the 250 I love mine again. I have an airdog 100 I think I may be putting on mine. I have upgraded to the bigger rear brakes and wheel cylinders, New front 7226s in the front now I am searching for 1 ton rear springs for towing or maybe go with airbags haven't decided yet. I still have to add another tranny cooler for towing. Next thing I want to do is get more air in with a bigger turbo so I can keep my egt down.