1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help front end vibration when i hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help front end vibration when i hit a bump

hi i have a 1989 dodge cummins when driveing down the road and hit a slight bump or transfer on to a bridge a mean vibration starts almost like driveing on rumble strips when i slow way down almost to a stop it will stop and no more vibration it only does this sometimes and not on all bumps i pulled front drive shaft thought this was it cause of bad u joint but i still ran into the problem please help this is getting anoying

Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Diesel Fan

Jack and stands and look at everything while moving wheels. Another way would be to "get a quote" (know what I mean) at a front end shop and that way if it is real serious you are where you need to be to get it fixed.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a Mopar" Death wobble " theres no one thing to fix to make all better.Try doing a search there are many threads about this.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM

Its not a woble at all just a vibration I don't feel it in the sterling wheel at all

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Bad shocks? Sounds like some mean spring oscillation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Ok so I kinda figured it out I lock my hubs in and it don't do it so what could that b?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

My 90 used to do the exact same thing. I ripped both sides of the front end apart twice without a slight idea of what caused it. Repack wheel bearing reset pre load n such n she would still do it. I never did figure it out but it never got worse either. It won't be anything to do with bad shocks as this can go on for miles n miles.

I even replaced all 4 shocks to no avail, had the rear end apart with no problems in the rear wheel bearing/drums either. Rear drive shaft was good as well.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Jack it up and check your wheel bearings. Locking in the hubs might remove enough slack to eliminate the problem. Other than that, good luck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also check tierod ends and balljoints, lugnuts, systematically check the whole front end.

Last edited by Eddiebuntain; 05-10-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddiebuntain
Jack it up and check your wheel bearings. Locking in the hubs might remove enough slack to eliminate the problem. Other than that, good luck.

Also check tierod ends and balljoints, lugnuts, systematically check the whole front end.
Mine was looked over inside n out with no fix to the problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If the truck checks out, maybe it's you. Try cutting out caffeine.

Did you break down the tires to make sure there's not a bunch of water in them? I've heard of rare cases where condensation from a compressed air line builds up 'til you get a fair amount in a tire. Rides along okay until you hit a bump just right, then it bounces around and sets off a series of vibrations. Don’t know why locking the hubs would make a difference, but if everything else checks out,it might be worth checking. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Eddiebuntain; 05-11-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: need help front end vibration when i hit a bump