Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   need help front end vibration when i hit a bump (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/95861-need-help-front-end-vibration-when-i-hit-bump.html)

cycloneranger 05-09-2012 12:50 AM

need help front end vibration when i hit a bump

hi i have a 1989 dodge cummins when driveing down the road and hit a slight bump or transfer on to a bridge a mean vibration starts almost like driveing on rumble strips when i slow way down almost to a stop it will stop and no more vibration it only does this sometimes and not on all bumps i pulled front drive shaft thought this was it cause of bad u joint but i still ran into the problem please help this is getting anoying:argh::argh:

chuckles 05-09-2012 01:07 AM

Jack and stands and look at everything while moving wheels. Another way would be to "get a quote" (know what I mean) at a front end shop and that way if it is real serious you are where you need to be to get it fixed.

jmac5058 05-09-2012 05:31 AM

Sounds like a Mopar" Death wobble " theres no one thing to fix to make all better.Try doing a search there are many threads about this.

cycloneranger 05-09-2012 06:09 AM

Its not a woble at all just a vibration I don't feel it in the sterling wheel at all

tower_ofpower 05-09-2012 11:26 AM

Bad shocks? Sounds like some mean spring oscillation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycloneranger 05-09-2012 10:21 PM

Ok so I kinda figured it out I lock my hubs in and it don't do it so what could that b?

1stgenblowingsmoke 05-09-2012 11:39 PM

My 90 used to do the exact same thing. I ripped both sides of the front end apart twice without a slight idea of what caused it. Repack wheel bearing reset pre load n such n she would still do it. I never did figure it out but it never got worse either. It won't be anything to do with bad shocks as this can go on for miles n miles.

I even replaced all 4 shocks to no avail, had the rear end apart with no problems in the rear wheel bearing/drums either. Rear drive shaft was good as well.

Eddiebuntain 05-10-2012 09:29 AM

Jack it up and check your wheel bearings. Locking in the hubs might remove enough slack to eliminate the problem. Other than that, good luck.:c:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also check tierod ends and balljoints, lugnuts, systematically check the whole front end.

1stgenblowingsmoke 05-11-2012 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eddiebuntain (Post 892805)
Jack it up and check your wheel bearings. Locking in the hubs might remove enough slack to eliminate the problem. Other than that, good luck.:c:

Also check tierod ends and balljoints, lugnuts, systematically check the whole front end.

Mine was looked over inside n out with no fix to the problem.

Eddiebuntain 05-11-2012 01:05 PM

If the truck checks out, maybe it's you. Try cutting out caffeine.

Did you break down the tires to make sure there's not a bunch of water in them? I've heard of rare cases where condensation from a compressed air line builds up 'til you get a fair amount in a tire. Rides along okay until you hit a bump just right, then it bounces around and sets off a series of vibrations. Don’t know why locking the hubs would make a difference, but if everything else checks out,it might be worth checking. Keep us posted.:c: