1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

A-518 transmission questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-518 transmission questions and concerns

I have a non lock up A-518 transmission in my 91 ram truck and it was re-built back in september. I Have noticed some noises that the transmission is making and i am trying to figure out what is causing these noises so i can bring the truck back to the transmission shop and have them fix whatever it is because my transmission is still under warranty.
When i put the truck in drive and start to take off there is a wooooooooooooow noise that gets louder with speed and when it shifts into second gear the sound will die down a little bit as its shifting but the second its in second gear it will start slowly getting louder with speed and it goes woooooooooooooow. I have also noticed it makes this noise while in reverse as well. I can put it in reverse and hold the brakes and at a stand still in reverse it goes wooooow and when i let off the brake and start moving it also gets louder with speed. What could be causing this? It does not make this noise while in park or nuetral so that eliminates the pump and the converter. The transmission fluid is full and does not smell burnt and is still bright pink. On my recipt from the transmission shop it says i got new gears plenatarie gear sets sun gears new bands and clutches ne converter new pump they even gave me a very nice transmission cooler. I just dont understand what this could be since everything is brand new? I plan on bringing the truck back to the shop as soon as i get a few days off work to do it wich wont be for another 10 or 12 days. The only thing i can think of would be the valve body? maybe a sticking valve? or sticking servo? The valve body is the only thing that did not get replaced according to my recipt. Has anyone else had this sort of problem before? and if so what did it end up being? The transmission still shifts good although its a tad soft shifting for my liking but i think that is due to factory setting of the line pressure, but the transmission does not slip at all and does not leak any fluid.
I just wish i had a better idea of what could be causinis so i have some legite suggestions for the transmission shop instead bringing it to them without any suggestions and having them say there is nothing wrong with it. Any help on this would be greatly appriciated because it is frustrating me to no end a brand new transmission making noises, not exactly a exciting topic

Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Diesel Fan

i ve seen that problem occur with a cracked flex plate it would be my first place to check

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM

would there be a way for me to tell if flex plate is cracked with the transmission still in the truck? or would the transmission have to be pulled out?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I guess that makes sense because the transmission shop had to pull my transmission after the first time they re-built it, had to pull it too put a different converter back on it and ever since they put it back together is when i started to notice the noise, in fact i noticed it when i drove it home from there shop. But the very first time they put it together it didnt make any noises. So flex plate is a good guess accually. Somone mentioned plenatarie gears to me but i had a hard time believing that because they charged me for new plenatarie gears and that would mean they put my old plenatarie gears back in it after the re-build and i dont think any transmission shop would be that ballsy but i could be wrong. Just seems like that would be an awfully big risk to re-use an old set of plenatarie gears and charge somone for brand new ones.

Last edited by pjc360; 04-05-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Diesel Fan

when it is planetary gears it normally will only make noise in one of the gears. but the flex plate when it is forcing in any gear, and yes at a minimum the trans would have to be pulled back for inspection ,they may have created the problem by building a converter a little to thick ,hope this helps

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM

I hope it helps too, and thank you for sharing your information. I will call the transmission shop when i get my days off and i will explain whats going on and i'll be asking them when they want me to bring it over so they can look at it. Because this transmission is still under warranty for another year and a half there fore they will be fixing it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I still gotta drop the pan on this transmission and turn the line pressure up a little bit. Thinking bout ccranking it up 2 1/2 to 3 turns. While im doing that i'm going to flush all the atf out of it and re-fill with new atf because the transmission shop i went to uses a universal atf. I am thinking about running type f in mine, since i have a non lock up converter and its a 727 with an overdrive on it type f seems like the best fluid to use to keep slipping at a minimal and in return getting firmer shifts. Is anyone else running type f in the non lock up A-518?

Last edited by pjc360; 04-05-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost