1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

ATF's

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF's

I have been looking real hard into atf's and wich one would be the best to run in my transmission. Right now it has a universal fluid of some kind that the transmission shop put in it after re-building it and i plan on flushing it out and replacing it with new fluid, just have not decided on what kind of fluid to use. There is of course atf+4 wich is what dodge says to run, i dont mean to start a i heard or im going to listen to what i heard but alot of people have told me not to put +4 in my transmission because i do not need it, I have been told if i had a lock up converter or a 46re then yea +4 it is, but the older non lock up A-518's are still hydraulically ran and shift way better on dexron or even type f. How true is this? I realize the A-518 is not eleconically controlled and that it is just a 727 with n overdrive unit added, is +4 really that citical for the overdrive unit? I mean gm used dexronII for years in the 700r4's and then came ou with dexronIII in 1993 and the dexron was plenty good for there overdrives. Is the chrysler A-518's overdrive unit that much different from a 700r4? I know dodge says to use +4 but i am hesistant to run it in mine because i like having firm shifts and +4 will kill that with the amount of fricttion modifyers in it. I realize alot of you guys run +4 and i'm not trying to say its wrong i;m just trying to say i dont think it is the right fluid for my truck based on how i expect and want my transmission to perform. I have been told ype f works just as good in the non lock up A-518s as it does in the regular 3 speed 727s so i have been considering it, but i cant help but see this new dexronVI atf and its impressive stats. My transmission had dexronII as factory fill nd dexronVI says back wards compatible to all dexron and to all transmissions that had dexron. Is anybody running dexronVI in there A-518? or type f? What fluid other then +4 would you reccomend using?