1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

New here and looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and looking for some advice

Recently I purchased my first dodge with a first gen engine and have some questions for some of you who will share some knowledge. I have turned wrenches for a long time on gas engines but have limited experiance with diesels. My issue started when I drove it for a week and started hearing what I thought was an exhaust manifold gasket leak, after inspecting I found that it was actually a compression leak coming from the number 5 injector. I had driven like this for a bit without realizing it as the engine ran fine and sounded good. (I am really impressed with this engine) I removed the injector and replaced the copper washer and all was well again. I now notice that I have alot of black smoke when I accelerate which wasn't noticable before this compression leak. Now that you have the background on the problem I will add that when I purchased this truck it ran like a top and still does even though the odometer stopped turning at 282000. I need to know if you guys would suggest that if I did a compression check and it was within reasonable spec that I might improve the the exhaust issue by spending the money on rebuilding the injectors? what would the correct compression spec be, and if it is good could the compression leak have damaged the number 5 injector ? I appreciate some input ...am I on the right track?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

You talking the pieces circled in red where the return lines mount to the injectors??Name:  IMG00017-20110803-1520-Copy.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  109.1 KB

Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, If you are refering to the copper washers those are return line, mine leaked compression from the engine (the copper washer at the tip of the injector inside the head)

Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah I was. Your probably getting a better fuel burn now since that injector was dealt with. These trucks do smoke especially if modded but even stock trucks puff a bit of black mainly when accelerating. What year truck is this btw non intercooled trucks tend to smoke more then intercooled trucks but they will all smoke. How bad is it smoking? May wanna check your air filter also. I'd try some diesel conditioner And non carbon 2stroke oil before rebuilding the injectors myself.

Btw my truck will smoke out two lanes of traffic if I let it. Which isn't to often. Lol

Last edited by 1stgenblowingsmoke; 03-12-2012 at 04:37 AM.