1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

tach instal kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach instal kits

i have equus gauges from a past project and the tach i was woundering if anyone has used a auto meter altenator kit for different gauges before any input is appriciated

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't recommend that autometer alternator pick-up... Mine doesn't work very well even paired with an autometer tach. Isspro pick-ups have a very good rep. Depending on your tach and how many pulses it works off of, 2 or more magnets get glued to your damper. the pick up strapped to your alternator may pick up too many pulses throwing your tach off. Unless your tach is adjustable like the autometer tach is. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
I wouldn't recommend that autometer alternator pick-up... Mine doesn't work very well even paired with an autometer tach. Isspro pick-ups have a very good rep. Depending on your tach and how many pulses it works off of, 2 or more magnets get glued to your damper. the pick up strapped to your alternator may pick up too many pulses throwing your tach off. Unless your tach is adjustable like the autometer tach is. Good luck

I ended up getting a Dakota Digital DSL-2 sending unit to get my AutoMeter 5K tach working right. The factory Dodge signals won't work properly. I had to modify my trans inspection plate so that it gets pulses from the ring gear. Took a bit to figure out that there's 152 teeth on the ring gear tho! Works GREAT now!!

Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Good to know, I MIGHT have to look into this. Like I said the alt mount ones are a half assed design IMO, prob works for some people but not me . Been thinking about moving it to the damper but if this works...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
Good to know, I MIGHT have to look into this. Like I said the alt mount ones are a half assed design IMO, prob works for some people but not me . Been thinking about moving it to the damper but if this works...

It works great. Mounting the pick-up in the inspection pan is a bit of a PITA tho. I got a nut the same thread pitch as the one that came with it and cut it on an angle. Then I made sure it was lined up perpendicular to the flywheel before welding it (the nut) to the inspection cover. I had to screw the pick-up all the way in until it touched the ring gear then backed it out about an 1/8". ..... Crossed my fingers and fired her up!! Programming the DSL-2 was easy once I had the right number of teeth for the ring gear. Just followed the directions.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So am I understanding correctly that the wiring under my dash for the tach will not make just any tach work? I was confused cuase I hooked up to that but I get no signal so no tach.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

91.5 and up have a plug underdash and isspro sells a 4k tach that is easily wired up

Sent from my DROIDX

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roger im goin to sell my equus tach then and go off the dampner with isspro thanks for the help

Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just have a cheap suntach same as is in my gas pickup. This would not read the information then or do I maybe have something else wrong?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 98cummins
I just have a cheap suntach same as is in my gas pickup. This would not read the information then or do I maybe have something else wrong?
The Dodge electrical sends out a different pulse and voltage than the AutoMeter needs. It's probably the same for the Sun unit. The DSL-2 should fix that. I spoke with AutoMeter techs and the guys at Dakota Digital to get the full story.

Quick Reply: tach instal kits