Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   tach instal kits (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/92105-tach-instal-kits.html)

plumbob84 02-28-2012 10:11 AM

tach instal kits

i have equus gauges from a past project and the tach i was woundering if anyone has used a auto meter altenator kit for different gauges before any input is appriciated

tower_ofpower 02-28-2012 05:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend that autometer alternator pick-up... Mine doesn't work very well even paired with an autometer tach. Isspro pick-ups have a very good rep. Depending on your tach and how many pulses it works off of, 2 or more magnets get glued to your damper. the pick up strapped to your alternator may pick up too many pulses throwing your tach off. Unless your tach is adjustable like the autometer tach is. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New_Dog_93 02-28-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 864888)
I wouldn't recommend that autometer alternator pick-up... Mine doesn't work very well even paired with an autometer tach. Isspro pick-ups have a very good rep. Depending on your tach and how many pulses it works off of, 2 or more magnets get glued to your damper. the pick up strapped to your alternator may pick up too many pulses throwing your tach off. Unless your tach is adjustable like the autometer tach is. Good luck

I ended up getting a Dakota Digital DSL-2 sending unit to get my AutoMeter 5K tach working right. The factory Dodge signals won't work properly. I had to modify my trans inspection plate so that it gets pulses from the ring gear. Took a bit to figure out that there's 152 teeth on the ring gear tho! Works GREAT now!!

Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface

tower_ofpower 02-28-2012 09:48 PM

Good to know, I MIGHT have to look into this. Like I said the alt mount ones are a half assed design IMO, prob works for some people but not me lol. Been thinking about moving it to the damper but if this works...

New_Dog_93 02-29-2012 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 865010)
Good to know, I MIGHT have to look into this. Like I said the alt mount ones are a half assed design IMO, prob works for some people but not me lol. Been thinking about moving it to the damper but if this works...

It works great. Mounting the pick-up in the inspection pan is a bit of a PITA tho. I got a nut the same thread pitch as the one that came with it and cut it on an angle. Then I made sure it was lined up perpendicular to the flywheel before welding it (the nut) to the inspection cover. I had to screw the pick-up all the way in until it touched the ring gear then backed it out about an 1/8". ..... Crossed my fingers and fired her up!! Programming the DSL-2 was easy once I had the right number of teeth for the ring gear. Just followed the directions.

98cummins 02-29-2012 09:16 AM

So am I understanding correctly that the wiring under my dash for the tach will not make just any tach work? I was confused cuase I hooked up to that but I get no signal so no tach.:humm:

moparbubbabt59l 02-29-2012 09:57 AM

91.5 and up have a plug underdash and isspro sells a 4k tach that is easily wired up

Sent from my DROIDX

plumbob84 02-29-2012 10:30 AM

roger im goin to sell my equus tach then and go off the dampner with isspro thanks for the help

98cummins 02-29-2012 12:41 PM

I just have a cheap suntach same as is in my gas pickup. This would not read the information then or do I maybe have something else wrong?

New_Dog_93 02-29-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 98cummins (Post 865201)
I just have a cheap suntach same as is in my gas pickup. This would not read the information then or do I maybe have something else wrong?

The Dodge electrical sends out a different pulse and voltage than the AutoMeter needs. It's probably the same for the Sun unit. The DSL-2 should fix that. I spoke with AutoMeter techs and the guys at Dakota Digital to get the full story.