1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Emissions Failure 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Emissions Failure 2

am currently actively seaking information on other posts

Just so I know and you do too I posted this in the 94 and up also.... It is a 93 6bt 12v

So I am the FNG... I have a 93 5.9 12v that I am concerned about. I have a Super B turbo 90 lbs injectors and an M5 fuel pin 3200 gov from M & H inc. I was at sea level, now at 6500 ft..

So here is the questions... (I could just go replace and test, but would like some outside info)

If I simple change the fuel pin will I have a running chance at passing?

Has anyone used thier M2/M3?

What are the predictable results from changing back to my stock fuel pin with no other adjustments?

What are some of the easiest ways (copied links will work) to pass emissions?
I know that is a broad question and propably answered it with the fuel pin issue...

Should I also change my timing pin?

What do you guys think about Dynamic timing advance?

If there is anything that I am forgeting dont be afraid to call me out...

Thanks in advance
Dustin Davis

Ohhh and last what is the opinion on professional tuning?
Should I just keep going with my test and fail or have a shop tune it?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Test and fail, no point in going the pay and fail. M3 fuel pin and backin out the smoke screw will help drastically with the "puff test" If the truck is tested on the rollers, turning the star out to increase pre load on the spring and backing out the full fuel screw to achieve a WOT clean burn. Dynamic timing advance kit would help tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Just stop around the corner of the place and put slack into the accelerator line to the point that it's just driveable.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Unfortunately it is not the puff test... they put it on rollers.. I did eliminate a ton of smoke from it by replacing air filter... "duh"... Now it will clean out on full spool. I am going to order the M3 and dynamic timing tonight.. hopefully it will fix the roller gig and produce comparable power.
Tower of Power I heard you were thinking of selling your truck... that is too bad... I hope you maintain and have the ability to keep it... It looks sharp!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

"turning the star out to increase pre load on the spring and backing out the full fuel screw to achieve a WOT clean burn" Tower of Power

Maybe I am a little confused on the star... hmm thinking about it and just wondering what you are referring too... maybe I sounded too knowledgeable with my questions...
I do have the full fuel screw cranked up, but turning the star out to increase pre-load?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Begle 1 that is an awesome idea ... The guys at the emissions shop would wonder what happened to all the power... they had fun winding it up on the dyno. Not bad food for thought.

Last edited by Dustindavisusmc; 02-22-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Diesel Bomber

Turning the star wheel CCW raises the star wheel which acts as the springs seat. Doing so increases the preload of the AFC spring which results in it taking more boost to force the pin down. Doing so delays the onset of fuel, atleast long enough to let the turbo light and provide enough air for a cleaner burn. In an ideal tune, fuel addition will be metered in a linear rate with air flow. Hence stock pin having a straight cone. Then they'd have to have a turbo that'd have a sufficient operating range (which they screwed up from the get go with the H1C) that's why introduction of VGT turbo's was such a giant leap for emissions. Lots of research and development goes into this crap and we just figure out ways to burn their text books and tell them our way it better, which is arguable. Think of the principle "eye for an eye" performance comes with a price, and you're paying the price with emissions. I'd severely detune the truck; pass emissions and hop it back up again. Otherwise; moving to an emissions free state seems like a pretty promising endeavor . these trucks are 20+ years old... They can't be THAT strict on them and if they are then they can insert a Prius in their **** cavity and fart rainbows... Provided there's enough room for the Prius AND their heads.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

They really do all of that in CO? Im in CA right now and even on my 97 there is no inspection....that I know of. Nothing until 98 is what I was told. Anyways basically what tower said, just make it a "stock" as possible, back out the starwheel and turn the fuel screw out.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Diesel Fan

ricet07..... check I got it... star wheel had me all mixed up like i missed something... I can back it out. Like I said I also am buying the M3 and dynamic advance timing..

Thanks guys for all the feedback

Only three cities do it... Denver Boulder and Colorado Springs.. Last year they moved the boundaries and I got included in city limits..... My luck right.

Tower of Power, I will definitely play with the settings tomorrow to see what I can come up with, I am going to try to avoid putting the stock pin back in as it is just one less step to "POWER". Thanks for your advice. This is my first Cummins conversion and I am pumped to put a 4bt in my 71f100 next.

Last edited by Dustindavisusmc; 02-22-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like its time to move

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Diesel Bomber

Personally, I'd tune the truck for the most potential, say the hell with emissions. Put it on the rollers and ask for a print out afterwards THEN detune it hahaha

Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Diesel Fan

So I am posting again to tell you guys that I passed emissions... changed to the M3 fuel pin, cranked the fuel back a touch and ran 30psi with a brand new K&N. Passed the load test by 1% .. I will take it though.
I also hit 380hp 4th gear 60mph and 28psi at 6500 feet... OOOWWWEEE boy!

Thank you guys for your encouragement and help

Quick Reply: Emissions Failure 2