1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

controling over drive and lockup

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default controling over drive and lockup

I'm planning a 47RH sawp from an A518. All hard parts lists aside, for me the tricky part... wiring up overdrive and lock up. With the np205 t case the speed sensor is in the tail housing of the t case I believe, so the trans computer will be getting the same signal as before to control OD? Next what kind of voltage controls the lockup circuit? and what are my choices in making it automated like the second gen trucks? Pretty much any info on over drive and lockup switches or controllers i am interested in!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMMINStagetcha19
I'm planning a 47RH sawp from an A518. All hard parts lists aside, for me the tricky part... wiring up overdrive and lock up. With the np205 t case the speed sensor is in the tail housing of the t case I believe, so the trans computer will be getting the same signal as before to control OD? Next what kind of voltage controls the lockup circuit? and what are my choices in making it automated like the second gen trucks? Pretty much any info on over drive and lockup switches or controllers i am interested in!
I would run it off a switch or in parallel with the OD solenoid. I don't think chrysler was PWM that early so you should be fine.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

PWM?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMMINStagetcha19
PWM?
Pulse Width Modulation

Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you will need the 2 prong plug that goes into the 47rh, ones ground, o/d, and lockup. i dont know enough to say that ur o/d will work fine by just hookin up the o/d wire you have now to the one that comes of the 3 prong plug. if it didnt you could use a preasure switch like i am. as for the lockup wire from what ive heard just run it of a toggle switch or something in the cab or a button. im using a hi/lo beam switch on the floor as an overide to shut the o/d down whenever i want, along with a little light next to my headlight switch to let me know if its on or off. oh and i put a A518 in my truck in place of the 727.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so i am planning on putting a 47rh in for the added towing weight and the LOCKUP! i get ANYTHING BETWEEN 10-18 mpgs depending on wind, load, and speed. are there a518's (46rh's) with lock up in 92 and up trucks. i currently have a torqueflight a518 with out lock up. BTW is there anyway to see if it is indeed lock up and a trans shop is just dumb??

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

there was never a A518 tranny with lockup made for our diesel trucks. i believe there were some gasser ones but as far as i know not much use for us.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

10 4, thank you. I am in the process of the 47 swap.... some people need to be learned on transmissions i guess, i have talked to like 5 different trans shops and junk yards trying to find parts and EVERY place has a different answer, opionion and such. it's confusing to say the least. i began just calling it a 46 or 47 rh cause the a518 618 thing confuses people apparently and they act like their different transmissions! Good news is i found a bell housing adapter, flex plate, TC, and low mile 47rh for $1200, bad news is trying to get rid of a 46rh! as for the pressure switch for OD how do you have that set up? i am hoping, considering the truck already has OD, that i can hook my 47 OD to the factory computer, and just have to handle lock up.

Last edited by CUMMINStagetcha19; 02-15-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

im sure you can sell it on craigslist to someone like me wanting to try it out instead of the 47rh. its a little cheaper to build the 46rh. i have my setup wired like the PATC website suggests. i dont know if it works yet cuz im still restoring my truck but in addition to what they have i wired in a light to show me when its on but ill know for sure how itll work hopefully pretty soon. heres the diagram. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/img3.jpg
this is the tranny site. PATC 46RE 47RE 48RE Transmissions, Performance Transmission A518, 518

they have a so called kit you can buy but its a rip off. i got it and its a waste. ur better off gettin an adjustable one so you can adjust when it shifts into o/d.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spent the money on the PATC website also and they do work but not worth a damn.. so i have my overdrive and lockup running off of toggle switches.....haha. some people think it would be a pain to drive but with 1-2-3- all being hydralically controlled you only need 2 switched to make the trans work.. the good thing about me having my trans this way is that i have a B&M floor shifter on the floor making it so i can slap it through 1-2-3 then flip lockup switch and then overdrive.. with the setup the way that i have it she is faster than my brothers 96 with the same mods

Quick Reply: controling over drive and lockup