1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

clearance between radiator and fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clearance between radiator and fan

as some of you may know from previous threads my truck was in a accident and im trying to rebuild the front end well today i put a new radiator support and radiator in and there isnt enough gap between the radiator and the fan core to stick my finger inbetween i never paid attention before but is this normal or is my truck tweeked in a bad way i thought possibly about a electric fan to but thought i would see what you guys said

Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Take a close look at the frame, if it's buckled anywhere it won't be too hard to spot. One finger width I feel is too close. I think my factory fan was an inch or better from the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

what do you mean by factory fan did you replace the old one and i didn't notice any buckles but i might be wrong i was thinking on trying to find a junk yard electric fan and putting it on there because my thinking is like yours its a little to close for confornt especcialy for a brand new 400$ radiator

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Diesel Bomber

I have a twin derale electric fan on mine, and about a good inch of clearance from the fluidampr to radiator (which is about 1/2 in. Thicker than your factory damper.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Diesel Bomber

Sorry, not radiator... Fan shroud

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well my problem is that the frame is bent on the driver side so i had to cut a hole and move everything up on the frame and move it out i guess ill have to even the bumper out or something but i got it to where it will move maybe in another week ill have it back on the road and does any know that if it was totaled will i have to get a different title salvaged title

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by staylorw250
well my problem is that the frame is bent on the driver side so i had to cut a hole and move everything up on the frame and move it out i guess ill have to even the bumper out or something but i got it to where it will move maybe in another week ill have it back on the road and does any know that if it was totaled will i have to get a different title salvaged title
In colorado if its has been deemed totaled and you keep it and it passes inspection you get a salvage title.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Diesel Bomber

If your frame is bent you may have some tracking issues with the truck... You may try taking it to a collision shop and having the frame pulled.