1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Any effect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any effect?

I was thinking the other day what if I bored the hole in the banjo bolt larger on the boost line to the fuel pump would it do any good has anyone tried this out?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is my thinking on that and i dont know if this is true its just an opininated guess, what do we know here? we know that boost pressure pushes down the diafram casuing the pin to ride out further on the fuel pin. we aslo know that the hole on the banjo is pretty small and im pretty positive many people have thought doing what you are saying. with that said it takes that pressure to push the diafram down. if you drill a bigger hole through the bolt, wouldent that mean it would take more time to build enough pressure to push the diafram down and there fore meaning a loss in pressure with no power gain/ a power loss maybe. that pin can only go so far and if you already have it riding as far as it posibly could i dont think that even if it did supply pressure faster that it would even be enough to notice. please someone correct me if im wrong and i am just kinda talking out my *** i dont really know anyone that has ever tried it. so i cant say for shure. but thease are just some things to concider any one else have any ideas?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you could bore it out enough to make any difference. Also the the boost line would have to be larger.in theory yes it should build pressure faster. I just don't see it being a big enough difference to be worth the time. I could be completely wrong but that's my thought. Just get a denny t afc delete

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Highly doubt you'd notice any difference, enlarging the hole wouldn't really increase the surface area enough to delay pressure build up. It MIGHT increase response of the fuel pin by reducing restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well from my view it would be nearly the same as loosening the diaphram tension, AKA turning the star wheel, which by the is pointless i feel. And im sure you have been heard this before, GAUGES FIRST, then start messin with stuff. If you want power go big, turn up the fuel!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

psi is psi it wont make it have any more force but as said above less restriction may make it respond faster rig it up in 1/8 fittings bored out and 1/4 line and see if that makes a difference