1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Another 'what's it worth' thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 'what's it worth' thread

Sorry guys, I'm sure this gets asked plenty often, but I'm just not familiar with these trucks yet.

I've been wanting a cummins truck forever, but my budget is extremely tight and I've just been hoping the right deal would come along.

I found a pair of '92 W350's, both SRW and both manual trans. They both have utility boxes and were used for a business before being put out of service.

-One truck has 215k miles, a busted windshield, tires are completely shot, and a fair amount of rust on the utility bed.

-The other truck has 305k miles, good tires, and generally looks nicer all around.

Both trucks supposedly will start and run (I'll make sure of this before handing over any cash), but were parked because the company mechanic has a hatred for diesels, so as soon as they needed any work at all they just got set aside. I'm told that one truck runs fine but requires full throttle to keep it going on a cold start. The other truck will run but supposedly the fuel distributor won't stay tight? Or something. That's the story anyway...

I could pick up both trucks for what I think is an extremely good price. My question is this: How much could I REALISTICALLY expect to get back by parting one of them out? I know what people are asking for stuff these days, but I have no interest in sitting on $4000 'worth' of parts for 6 months because nobody wants to pay what they're supposedly 'worth'. In other words, if I were to sell front and rear ends, trans, t-case, and motor (assuming it will start and run), what's the low end of the price range?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if you do buy them ill make you an offer for the trans and t-case as a package deal

Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
an offer for the trans and t-case as a package deal
I'm listening...

Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would also throw out an offer on the tranny, transfer case and front axle/drive shaft depends though is it a getrag or something sles cus that is gunna affect the offer greatly if its something better then the getrag

Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Diesel Fan

I have no reason to think it's something other than the getrag.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya, being as they are work trucks i would assume that they are virgin trucks so getrag no pump mods h1c all that stuff. a 5 speed getrag and np205 tranfercase run about $800 around here at the junk yards when they rarely get one in and the axle and drive shaft would probably be about $300. pm sent

Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by t-bone117yamaha
pm sent
I got your pm, but it looks like I can't reply because of my post count. I'll keep you posted, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting these trucks... the purchase price is too good to turn down.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would offer 3000 and see what they say. Still alot of these rigs out there and people will pay! I paid 700$ for a 4x4 Getrag at a local junk yard. Just priced a Tcase for a 2000 cummins today, 800$ from wrecking yard! I know its a diff case but still, As for the fuel distributor i have no idea what the heck they are talkin about, possibly the IP wont stay tight? But that is ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by justanother92
As for the fuel distributor i have no idea what the heck they are talkin about, possibly the IP wont stay tight? But that is ridiculous.
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about either. I'm eager to go get a better look and try to fire them up.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Cracked windshield and some rust on a service box?! Sounds like it needs some spit-polish... not parting out!

Quick Reply: Another 'what's it worth' thread