1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1990 Cummins Value

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
ranchhandtcr.... what in gods name are you saying? there is no such thing as 4x4s that have bending frames, if anything theyre stronger than your 2nd gen!! these trucks were built when companys werent afraid to use 3500lbs of steel on the body and chassis, you obviously dont know what youre saying so dont have an opinion that isnt in anyway true! 12vdc, i would go ahead and make this guy an offer lower than his asking price prob somewhere around 5100$ because that thing is a beauty!!
Thank you, haha. I want a first gen cummins because they have everything great about old gas trucks but with great mileage. That truck already sold, my friend. I've responded to 4 Craigslist postings, all sold. And one in my town, is kind of pending. The one in my town is amazing, so clean and stock except tires and wheels. Driven by an older guy, he only wants 5k. But his boss is first in line to buy it.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is frustrating and not uncommon to come across guys that have looked from 1 to 3 years for a truck in the condition and configuration desired. Even if price is not an issue, finding one in excellent condition takes time. You will find "the one" at some point but everyone needs to decide if they are in the search for the long haul. If you are open to 2wd or 4wd, auto transmissions, extra or standard cabs you will find one much quicker than most. The 4wd 5 speed manual trucks with extra cabs are the hard ones to get at any price. I knew the upper end of what they are worth after searching for a while and was willing to spend more than most folks looking at these trucks. I did not care how long it took and was not willing to settle for anything less than a 4x4 5 speed extra cab in immaculate overall condition. I see trucks come up for sale with some regularity but most fall into the category of automatics, 2wd, very high mileage, condition issues etc. What configuration, price point and condition are you looking for or willing to settle for?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
It is frustrating and not uncommon to come across guys that have looked from 1 to 3 years for a truck in the condition and configuration desired. Even if price is not an issue, finding one in excellent condition takes time. You will find "the one" at some point but everyone needs to decide if they are in the search for the long haul. If you are open to 2wd or 4wd, auto transmissions, extra or standard cabs you will find one much quicker than most. The 4wd 5 speed manual trucks with extra cabs are the hard ones to get at any price. I knew the upper end of what they are worth after searching for a while and was willing to spend more than most folks looking at these trucks. I did not care how long it took and was not willing to settle for anything less than a 4x4 5 speed extra cab in immaculate overall condition. I see trucks come up for sale with some regularity but most fall into the category of automatics, 2wd, very high mileage, condition issues etc. What configuration, price point and condition are you looking for or willing to settle for?
How long did it take you to find your truck? My reqs. are, must be 4x4, single cab, auto, and I'd prefer white paint. Condition must be good, good paint, minimal rust or none and no trashed interiors. Price, I'm not sure. I'd say 7k is the most I'd go. I'd hope to have this truck the rest of my life. My lifted gas truck isn't going to cut it with 10mpg, so I need a good DD that gets decent mileage. Hoping to quit my job within a year or less and move out of my parents house and start school for a career.

I see a lot of those 2wds you're talking about too, seems to be the most common around craigslist. Oddly enough, they usually are asking some ridiculous price imo.

Last edited by 12VDC; 11-30-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 12VDC
Is it for sale?

you will need a small fortune to buy mine
but ya sure its all for sale

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
you will need a small fortune to buy mine
but ya sure its all for sale
but nice site, im sure ill be ordering from you in the future.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

My lifted gas truck isn't going to cut it with 10mpg, so I need a good DD that gets decent mileage. Hoping to quit my job within a year or less and move out of my parents house and start school for a career.
If it's mainly about gas mileage, I doubt you would ever recoup the cost of owning a diesel truck. Diesel fuel is significantly more expensive than gas because of the new reformulation. For example, where I live, gas is selling for $2.95 and diesel is selling for $3.74. The huge disparity takes all the fuel economy advantage of a diesel engine away. So my diesel truck remains parked unless I need it for towing something.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
ranchhandtcr.... what in gods name are you saying? there is no such thing as 4x4s that have bending frames, if anything theyre stronger than your 2nd gen!! these trucks were built when companys werent afraid to use 3500lbs of steel on the body and chassis, you obviously dont know what youre saying so dont have an opinion that isnt in anyway true! 12vdc, i would go ahead and make this guy an offer lower than his asking price prob somewhere around 5100$ because that thing is a beauty!!
In some aspects he's correct... Our frames do not handle any kind of torsional forces, it'll handle ungodly weight but half of your trucks "articulation" on uneven ground is frame . I've braced and beefed areas on my truck where I absolutely needed to after a project just to make sure i didnt cause a crack and destroy the frame from constant twisting. If I had the time and money I'd box most of the frame or atleast make the ladder rungs in the frame much more rugged. Overall tho, can't kill em' and I think they're one of the best trucks to own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

but nice site, im sure ill be ordering from you in the future.

thanks bud

Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did it take you to find your truck? My reqs. are, must be 4x4, single cab, auto, and I'd prefer white paint. Condition must be good, good paint, minimal rust or none and no trashed interiors. Price, I'm not sure. I'd say 7k is the most I'd go. I'd hope to have this truck the rest of my life. My lifted gas truck isn't going to cut it with 10mpg, so I need a good DD that gets decent mileage. Hoping to quit my job within a year or less and move out of my parents house and start school for a career.

I see a lot of those 2wds you're talking about too, seems to be the most common around craigslist. Oddly enough, they usually are asking some ridiculous price imo.
I searched for about 7 months of daily looking but it was just a fluke that I got it in that short of a time. The truck was local to me and I bought it the day after the owner posted it and spoke with them on the phone within 20 minutes of them posting it. Original 1992 owner with all history. I was the first caller on it. I got there the next day with cash...there were several callers on it lined up to buy it the next day if I passed on it. One caller was offering the owner $500 extra on top of the full posting price to hold it (and not show it to me)while he flew from California the next day to buy it sight unseen. I still keep tabs on Craigslist as I am looking for a 2 wheel drive single cab auto for my kid who will be driving soon. However, since I bought my truck about 6 months ago there has been not one W350 5 speed extra cab posted for sale within my state or within several hundred miles of me. Unfortunately, daily searching for good condition, low mileage and well maintained rigs of this type configuration can take a couple years to find. If you are willing to risk big and buy through Ebay auctions sight unseen through photos and spend lots of money, that is another story. But, if you do that, what you bought may not end up being what you thought when you pick it up. I cannot think of any advice other than stay on top of the search daily, know EXACTLY what you are looking for and willing to accept. Also, be willing to travel.

I know what you mean about 10 mpg. A few years ago I drove a 1971 K5 blazer 350 V8 that got me 10.5 empty and 8.0 to 8.5 towing my 5k lb camper. Now I get between 17.5 and 18.5 MPG empty and 11 MPG towing the same camper. Better, but not nearly as good as the guys with 1st gen SRW, 3.54/3.07 geared trucks with O/D trans. If you are looking for the best MPG stay away from 4.10 geared DRW trucks. Good luck and keep searching!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

[QUOTE=jdbigblue12v;825581]ranchhandtcr.... what in gods name are you saying? there is no such thing as 4x4s that have bending frames, if anything theyre stronger than your 2nd gen!! these trucks were built when companys werent afraid to use 3500lbs of steel on the body and chassis, you obviously dont know what youre saying so dont have an opinion that isnt in anyway true! 12vdc, i would go ahead and make this guy an offer lower than his asking price prob somewhere around 5100$ because that thing is a beauty!![/QUNo

Not all of the frames bend but there is that potential issue! I still like first gen a bent frame always something to watch for on a truck it happens... IM not saying not to buy a first gen they are great trucks! Im just saying to watch out for those issus.

Quick Reply: 1990 Cummins Value