1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nut is there & that part apears to be tight but the shaft moves with the wheel not just the wheel .
On a good note Gillett diesel Has been a heaven sent with all my other dumb questions, I cant rave enough about them . Also in a previous experience with a BD fuel pin That only lasted about a month before is was junk I can say without Hesitation Denny T makes a GREAT product & Took care of me In my time of need like NO OTHER person or business has EVER EVER DONE .
Our trucks are old & we love them but without the support of some Really great people alot of us would have very large yard ornaments . THANK YOU

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

so worst case senerio you engine ate some small aluminium flakes. not the best for an engine to eat but better than rocks or the shaft nut. put a new turbo on her and she will be blowin smoke in no time.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Yea I was back & forth with Gillett Deisel today They set me up with the whole package , basically as I understand it I'll have to Remove 4 studs & 3 band clamps to be up & running again . On that note as a final precaution should I replace the oil again ? I just changed it less than 100 miles ago & use synthetic amsoil so is that a safe bet or a waste of time & money ?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

depends on how nasty the turbo blew up. honestly you prolly should but MOST likely can get away with it and never have an issue. you would have to have a really blown up turbo to ever get metal in the oil.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounds like the numbskulls put a new wheel on bad bearings - upgrade sans rebuild, wasting a new 60mm wheel in the process. Depending on how much of the wheel/turbo guts is left and how long it was run I would probably not worry about the oil, or anything else. Anything that made it past the intake valves probably went straight out the exhaust valves anyway.

You have to harden and lube the BD pins to make them last. But they don't tell you that.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

I would fix/swap the turbo and run her.

Jason sent a washer through his motor (undid the grid heater bolt for the grids) about 5 years ago... You heard it bounce around the piston, through the turbo and out the exhaust. It still runs fine and when he pulled the head to do his HG you could not see a single mark.

Would not worry me one bit.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Hey guys Thank you for all the feed back . It sure makes me sleep a bit better that there is some lite at the end of this tunnel. Hope everyone is runnin good I know my old girl LOVES this time of year .

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a BD pin what went wrong with yours? How do you harden the pin and what would you lube it with.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Metallurgy, What a Concept

Originally Posted by Longshot
I have a BD pin what went wrong with yours? How do you harden the pin and what would you lube it with.
Same that happens to all of them. I knew from reading about them on several diesel forums that BD was not making them hard enough. So the guide pin eventually grooves into it, causing ever-increasing low-boost fuel and ultimately leaks from the guide pin o-ring after they get bad enough.

I started by just putting a dab of heavy grease on the guide face and rotating it back and forth about 20 degrees every few months. That helped, but not enough. Then after the grooving started, I carefully mig'd some material back in there which in itself is a harder steel that what the pin is. I also quenched it while still red hot for additional hardening. Then I began a seasonal routine of inspecting, shaping and tweaking the stop washer for maximum travel and minimum low boost fuel.

It hasn't started to groove again in over two years now. When I looked at it last spring was the first time I did not do anything to it. Full guide pin travel, no leaks, minimal low-boost smoke and the truck makes 30psi boost with stock non-I/C injectors under full load. The pump is not maxed - 2 turns out.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 09-15-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Diesel Fan

Yea that about covers it . also my pin was machined to large it took about an hour with some super fine emery paper to make it smooth & fit & the nut that came off my old pin wouldnt screw on . It ran like crap there was a what seemed to be a bit of a hesitation spot when I accelerated . NO one would respond to my emails that I sent to BD . Denny T took care of me & what a difference in pin profile & performance . I still can say enough about about him .
It really sucks that a company can grow with the money you spend only to throw you to the wolves on their way up to become BIG Buisness. They might as well sell BD pins at wal-mrt at least I would expect to get boned. In my opinion you can work on making it a decent pin that will last but it still wont compare to a Denny T pin . That of course is my opinion & everyone has good & bad experiences .

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP