1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

Hey guys hope you had a great summer .
I went & Had a 60 mm upgrade & rebuild . BUT ... after the guy delivered it to where I work & I started it Isounded like I threw a bunch of screws in the blender . So something went bad with the rebuid. ...... So at this point I have a ground up Turbo & possible other damage .
The great news is that it is going into the court system because NOBODY is responsible .
HERE is the question ....... I have the truck with no clue where the damage ends & am in need of the whole package turbo & exhaust housing together .
ANY suggestions on package deals , suppliers etc ?? I've looked & I'm over loaded & getting nowhere .
On a final note the truck has been turned up but no injectors or pump mods yet so just lookin for reliable power . I haul but rarely tow .
Thanx Heath

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Whats wrong with it? What actually broke?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Diesel Fan

Looks like the shaft was loose & the compressor wheel moved allover inside & was chewed up .
It only needed a rebuild but I went with the upgrade .

Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

So it's just the turbo?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Diesel Fan

It may be just the turbo BUT at this point I cant risk it & figured it would be best to get it all together from somewhere as it seems every garage around here is shall we say a bit below par so rebuild is not somthing I think i should risk . If i'm gona spend the $ it may as well be on new & some what a bolt on so that I can tackle it without another garage FUBAR.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

I have a hx35 floating around

Old 09-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Diesel Fan

I appreciate the gesture & I'm sure looking for used parts would save $ but I've been screwed way to many times with this truck & am totally shell shocked . I just hope to get peoples 2 cents worth on what to use & from whom they may have ordered from . Gillett has been helpful with the rebuild kit & compressor upgrade but I'm just trying to make less mistakes by asking more questions , even if it makes me look uneducated . They did recomend one of their packages but I'm just gona worrie till I'm up & running again . Thank you Heath

Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

I'll stand by a S300 all day long. It's a pretty responsive turbo, very stable capable of 40psi. Cleans up the smoke very well. Truck a standard or automatic? Idk how the s300 does with a standard. Autos let ya stay spooled. May want something a little quicker on the low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Diesel Fan

It's a 3 speed auto , the TF727 . So as I understand with the auto & the fact that it's non ic
the turbo could be a bit bigger & would clear up the smoke on the top end without having to spool up between shifts . Is that true or am I mixed up again ?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Default Re: Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP

Is the nut still on the shaft? Maybe he didn't know the shaft was left hand threads and stripped the shaft.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade Gone VERY BAD!!! PLZ HELP