1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

You guys saved my tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM
mcb
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You guys saved my tranny.

I recently purchaced a 93 250 4X4 Xtra cab with the Getrag. The truck was great exept for very poor synchro operation. The previous owner and I both surmized the synchros needed servicing, so I got a very good price for the truck.

I am a heavy duty mechanic so I know these engines well but I don't really know the trucks that well so I decided to do some reading on here. Thats when I decided to change the trans fluid to thr Royal Purple Synchromax which another memeber said he used in his truck. The transmission was transformed. It now shifts very well.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wouldn't happen to know any fluid to transform an auto trans?
I have a 92 with O/D and it slips a little it really needs worked over but I can't afford it any input would be of some help.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thé Güy Øn Thē Çòûch
You wouldn't happen to know any fluid to transform an auto trans?
I have a 92 with O/D and it slips a little it really needs worked over but I can't afford it any input would be of some help.

*Clinton voice on* "Aaaah feel yore payne" *Cv off*

tranny slippage isn't so much a function of "which fluid", as it is a function of "how much pressure?" , and I'm pretty sure that the fix will be replacement of burnt-up clutches $$$, and the future prevention of recurrence will be a shift-kit and a valve-body to increase the hydraulic pressure that works the lockup clutches.

I've read some posts where guys have added small doses of the friction modifier stuff that is used in a limited-slip diff. I'm not an engineer, and I don't play one on TV, but that doesn't seem like a really good idea.

Until you stack up the $$$ for a proper fix, just put a block of wood under your "go" pedal, and pretend your 93 years old.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Bwahahaha even a 93 yr old man would wanna romp on this truck..
But I was thinking of have my tc tightened up I've had a few guys tell me to do this but I wouldn't even know where to begin..any idea?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Band adjustment, it's free. Might get ya some more mileage out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Where can I have it done??

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

You can do it yourself, or a trans shop. Drop the fluid and do the rear/low band while the pan is off. You can adjust your forward band with out a pan/fluid drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mcb
The truck was great exept for very poor synchro operation.
Probably had a heavy GL5 gear oil in it.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 1,270 Likes on 472 Posts

someone told me you could run royal purple 5w 30 motor oil in the getrag. anyone know if this is ture?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default It's Spec'd for Motor Oil or ATF...

Originally Posted by mcb
Thats when I decided to change the trans fluid to thr Royal Purple Synchromax which another memeber said he used in his truck. The transmission was transformed. It now shifts very well.
...But why would you use motor oil when in the year 2011, some 20-odd years after most of these Dodges were manufactured, you could use synchromesh, a modern transmission fluid specifically designed for this type manual transmission?

Quick Reply: You guys saved my tranny.