1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Wont start after spring and fuel system install

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wont start after spring and fuel system install

Hey guys happy 4th
well I redid my entire fuel system with a draw straw 2,holley black pump to 2 frame mounted filters, all with 1/2" rubber line.did my 3200 spring whole thing went smoothly,removed the power screw top went on no prob.didnt touch the timing.checked solenoid,bled system through injector lines and pump supply line,nothing.when i crank i get it to spin one revolution by itself then thats it..Any help much appreciated

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

When you say it'll "...spin through one revolution then that's it." are you saying it fires for one revolution then dies? Or do you mean it'll spin but doesn't fire and dies? If the former, it's got to be where you've just been. Meaning you're sucking air somewhere, (probably). If the latter, check your battery open voltage, (disconnect it from the truck) all grounds, and your FSS. I know you said you checked it, check it again. You can never be too sure... (Don't ask me how I know...)

Old 07-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I mean it actually fires one revolution blows a puff of smoke then thats it.I can keep cranking and it wont do anything after that.I'll try putting more fuel in cause i have a 1/4 tank.cant find a leak I sealed every fitting,could the return line be the culprit it has a small kink. Thanks for the reply

Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure you have 12 volts at the shutdown solenoid after it dies. If so bleed it again. Sometimes air gets trapped and works it's way to the injectors after the system is all apart. From what you describe it sounds air locked but check the voltage first. Good luckRocky

Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well still no luck.Checked the solenoid and 12 v, Bled each line,now shootin straight fuel with no bubbles.Idk what else to do.Thanks for the help guys

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Check all the lines before your new pump I had a leak that would leak air in but not fuel out and it would make it to where I would bleed the lines and it would run then I would shut it off and the next time I would go to start it I would have to bleed the lines again so if u think it's tight go just a little more good luck I know yourOver it

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could sell it and get a 2001!!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokiinRam
well still no luck.Checked the solenoid and 12 v, Bled each line,now shootin straight fuel with no bubbles.Idk what else to do.Thanks for the help guys
Man that's messed up. If you have fuel with no air at the lines going into the injectors and the shutoff has 12 volts she out to light off. Are you sure when you did the spring install you got the linkage reinstalled like it was before. Try opening the throttle a little and cranking it. It's really easy to goof the throttle linkage up, I've done several of these and about half the time I don't get it right the first time. If it starts then the linkage is off a tooth or two. Good luckRocky P.S. Keep me posted I'll check back in a little while to see if it runs.It's compression ignition if it has fuel it should run.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Turn the full fuel screw one more full turn and raise the idle screw one full turn or put your foot on the pedal about 1/4 way to floor.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I just think i found my problem but im 1000 miles away so i cant test it,But i wired my fuel pump to my cigarette lighter so when Im cranking the pumps not on thus not supplying fuel to push the air out.but when the key is in just the on position it pumps

Quick Reply: Wont start after spring and fuel system install