1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

bad fuel leak need help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question bad fuel leak need help !!!!

Was on my way to work this morning and started smelling fuel and then the truck started leaving puddles at stop lights so I got to work put a spill pad under it open the hood started it up and seen fuel spraying between the injection pump and the block like a garden hose question is is it possible that there is a line back there that could be leaking or is it possible that the pump crackedor something this is my first diesel so I'm very new to this and still learning I would appropriate any input its a 91 D250 thank-you

Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

That would be an O-ring gone bad. I've never taken one of our pumps apart, but I'm sure there's something in the sticky that will help. This problem is a fairly common occurance so do a search on the forum and see what threads come up. Also, IIRC there are some good vid's on Youtube regarding the rebuilding of the VE. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
rlyncoal (05-31-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok think I found were its leaking from looks like a plate just below the breather on the pump bad part about it is I'm guna have to pull the pump to do it ordered a rebuild kit from international it will be here today think I'm guna put in a gov spring while I'm in there any one no anything about re timing the motor when I put the pump back on ?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Diesel Bomber

RE-timing? Not quite sure what you mean. Please elaborate on that if you would.

Y'know, while you have the pump off, if it hasn't been done already, it might be a great time to do your KDP as well...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Just wasn't sure if pulling the pump would effect the timing at all never done it before but I do have a KDP kit with all the seals and the tab plus I guna throw in a 3200 gov spring while I'm in there

Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Diesel Bomber

Pulling the pump won't affect timing if you put it back on the same tooth you took it off of. There are timing reference marks on the gear and the pump. Advancing the pump gear a tooth will give you 10 degrees of timing, more than enough for most of us. Advancing the timing will give you more top end, but you'll loose low end grunt. It will also wear out your main and rod bearings faster, as well as your pistons, but no one ever says anything about that.
Still, it'll 'feel' a lot peppier, which is why most of us do it. Although, unless you're running huge injectors, I wouldn't recommend jumping a tooth. Just putting the pump back where it was and pushing it towards the head an 1/8" to 3/16" should be enough to start with.

rlyncoal (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Diesel Fan

That's some good info I'm new to diesel so I can use all the knowledge I can get thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
Default bad fuel leak need help !!!!

Look in the sticky for the 3200 gov spring mod (366 spring) the write up covers tearing the top side of the pump off and will give you access to the o ring that needs replaced. Whether you do the governor spring while you're in there is your own discretion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok so I put the new o ring in the 366 spring and turned the pump 3/16 towards the head its got better top end but for some reason the engine sounds a lot louder Is that normal or did o do something wrong its almost sounds like the valves are out of adjustment

Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

It's normal for the engine to rattle louder when the timing is advanced and it's cold.
It lessens a bit as the engine warms, but will still be louder than the stock settings.

Keep in mind, on the Intercooled engines, the KSB solenoid is also active when the engine is cold, so you have even more timing on a cold engine.

Mark.

rlyncoal (06-03-2011)

Quick Reply: bad fuel leak need help !!!!