1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

is there a LOCK UP torque converter for these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

IF you want to tow a lot, run a 5 speed and deeper gears (4.10s).
The outcome for mileage (Fuel AND Longevity) and keeping the tranny together will be more favorable.
If for some reason you don't like the Getrag, go with a FULLY UPGRADED NV4500 or 6 speed.

If you do a 6 speed, you can keep the gearing higher, say 3.54s.

Mark.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

My only problem with towing with a stick is uneven shifting. i.e. User error. I haul horses a lot and with livestock the smoother the shift the better. I've heard of horses breaking legs from folks not driving right, and I don't ever want that to happen to me. Especially when that horse cost 6 figures. But otherwise, manual tranny's are better for the long haul. In saying that, auto's have their place too...

The following users liked this post:
93coalroller (06-13-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys thanks for the input. I've been looking at some other part for the A-518 and prolly just get some up grades for it such as TQ converter, clutches, and shift kit. I'm not looking to put down 500HP but it would be nice to not slip the tranny every time I hardly get on it

Old 06-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KD93
The other thing to remember is that when an auto is in lockup, it's going to create HUGE amounts of heat, so as Mark Nixon says, towing with it can get fun sometimes. (Which is why everyone says not to tow in OD.)
Lock-up does not create huge amounts of heat. It reduces heat.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Any auto, compared to a manual, creates more heat. Direct drive or not.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Lock up or not, an auto always creates more heat, it's the nature of the beast.

No stock lock-up clutch will handle the loads of 20,000+ pounds for very long.
Not to mention, that the loads on the convertor, while doing so, will make some convertors swell up and crack, which is why any good aftermarket convertor has a feature called an "Anti-Ballooning" plate.

I tow with my '91 diesel automatic truck, and I dread the day that thing finally pukes itself, but I also won't hesitate for even a second to swap it to a manual when that time comes.

Some things are just more practical and towing just seems more practical with a manual, in most situations.

Mark.

The following users liked this post:
KD93 (06-11-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
Lock up or not, an auto always creates more heat, it's the nature of the beast.

No stock lock-up clutch will handle the loads of 20,000+ pounds for very long.
Not to mention, that the loads on the convertor, while doing so, will make some convertors swell up and crack, which is why any good aftermarket convertor has a feature called an "Anti-Ballooning" plate.

I tow with my '91 diesel automatic truck, and I dread the day that thing finally pukes itself, but I also won't hesitate for even a second to swap it to a manual when that time comes.

Some things are just more practical and towing just seems more practical with a manual, in most situations.

Mark.
As much towing as you do a manual is the way to go!

When you want to tow stuff alot and sometimes go fast - Maunal
When you want to go fast alot and sometimes tow stuff - Auto

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KD93
Guess it depends on how much you can get the 47RH for. Personally I wouldn't touch a BD TC, I'd be looking only at either Suncoast or Goerend. A TC from either of these vendors will run you from $600 - $1000, but well worth the money. A lockup convertor is somewhere around $1200 I think, (not 100% on that), plus whatever other parts you may need to rebuild it. 'Cause you know that while you're there you may as well. The other thing to remember is that when an auto is in lockup, it's going to create HUGE amounts of heat, so as Mark Nixon says, towing with it can get fun sometimes. (Which is why everyone says not to tow in OD.)
when the TC is locked up you shouldnt be building heat because your not slipping. why they done recomend to tow in OD is when it kicks in and out of OD you build ALOT of heat. if your trans temp is still high with a LUTC you need more cooling surface. with a non LU TC you will "slip" the trans and build ALOT of heat.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

all other things aside, what did the 47RH come in and what parts do you need for a good upgrade. i have a first gen (AH518) and a 205 cast iron t case. not sure the spline count. but i'm gonna do a lift soon, and i'll likely need different drive shaft(s). i'd love a lock up auto tranny, to get it to shift like a gasser, and in lock up OD for the RPMS to be about 1400-1600. if this isnt possible i'd like a NV5600!

Last edited by CUMMINStagetcha19; 09-28-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMMINStagetcha19
when the TC is locked up you shouldnt be building heat because your not slipping.
Exactly.

The 48RE in my 07 runs about the same temp as the Getrag in my 1st Gen: 150-160F. They both heat up under load. The only time the 48RE heats up is when it is not locked. I towed a toy hauler with about a ton of stuff on it up the side of a mountain last summer locked in 2nd and it only got slightly warmer - 180 - that's nothing. I saw 220 on the Getrag once before I put the fastCoolers on it. I think the 'rag would have made more heat on that pull because the auto has better cooling.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 09-28-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

words to live by

Quick Reply: is there a LOCK UP torque converter for these trucks?