Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   is there a LOCK UP torque converter for these trucks? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/77178-there-lock-up-torque-converter-these-trucks.html)

dark knight cummins 05-27-2011 09:17 AM

is there a LOCK UP torque converter for these trucks?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can give me some info about torque converters for these 1st gens. i have an A518 in mine. i looked into BD but it turns out their converter is also a non lock up like the stock.

i am not a fan of the non lockup at all and wondering if there is someone who makes a lockup converter?

cheers,

Graeme

BC847 05-27-2011 09:31 AM

The A518 (AKA: 46RH) in our trucks uses a NON lock-up torque converter. You can't simply replace one converter with the other.

While the A518 can be converted to a lock-up type converter by way of notable internal hardware and hydraulic (Valve-body) changes, it's usually much more cost effective to switch to a later 47RH trans which by default runs the lock-up converter.

Either way, you'll need the 47RH type engine to trans adapter-plate so as to allow more room for the thicker lock-up converter.

Others with first-hand experience with the details of either conversion will most likely post soon.

Have fun. :pca1:

dark knight cummins 05-27-2011 09:44 AM

oh okay. i've only ever had 2nd gens and coming into this non lock up thing has been weird.

so maybe i dont want to replace the tranny, but is something like a BD converter going to be alot better then the stock?

RSWORDS 05-27-2011 05:44 PM

Much better.... Much much better...

tower_ofpower 05-27-2011 06:36 PM

i think i'm not too far away from a tighter convertor, i dont think i can justify a 47rh swap. contemplated the lock up swap in mine myself. good luck :c:

Mark Nixon 05-27-2011 08:55 PM

I used to feel good about the trans I have in my '91 flatbed, it seemed tight and shifted firm, both things you want.
It even got 17-18 mpg.
Then I hooked it to a 2-car trailer and towed with it, got 9 mpg and it "slipped" like crazy.
I'm a manual trans guy, I wonder why in heck anyone that tows would put up with horrible mileage and a tranny that slips like that. :nope:

Totally worthless.:td:

Mark.

RSWORDS 05-27-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 758192)
i think i'm not too far away from a tighter convertor, i dont think i can justify a 47rh swap. contemplated the lock up swap in mine myself. good luck :c:

As far as I can tell and have read the 518 case for diesels (they are differnt then the gassers) cant be converted to lock-up. Some passeges or something missing. Like I said though this is just something I read about in passing looking for somehing else.

JasonQuartermile 05-30-2011 11:26 PM

Spec-Rite or Goerend makes a converter that will handle 500+rwhp.....and it's a non-lock-up :jump:

93coalroller 05-31-2011 09:11 PM

What would be the better/cheaper way to go transmission? Go with a BD tq converter, or the 47RH trans swap? Any advice would be great!:humm:

KD93 06-01-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 93coalroller (Post 759374)
What would be the better/cheaper way to go transmission? Go with a BD tq converter, or the 47RH trans swap? Any advice would be great!:humm:

Guess it depends on how much you can get the 47RH for. Personally I wouldn't touch a BD TC, I'd be looking only at either Suncoast or Goerend. :tu: A TC from either of these vendors will run you from $600 - $1000, but well worth the money. A lockup convertor is somewhere around $1200 I think, (not 100% on that), plus whatever other parts you may need to rebuild it. 'Cause you know that while you're there you may as well. The other thing to remember is that when an auto is in lockup, it's going to create HUGE amounts of heat, so as Mark Nixon says, towing with it can get fun sometimes. (Which is why everyone says not to tow in OD.)