1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

how can I get better mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I just got my truck, i will use it for a while to have a record of gas economy, then I will try your trick. Thanks a lot. Any experience with rear brakes? I am working on mine and I am thinking on trying larger cylinders on the drums 11/8 instead of the stock 1"

Tx gonzi

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

bigger is better....and they last longer....LOL
thats all i know......

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cummins
Ya I wanna know too what does the 2 cycle oil do?
The 2 cycle oil keeps the injectors lubricated and the engine runs quieter with less clatter. It also helps a bit with fuel economy. Basically, it restores the fuel economy that was lost when diesel went to Ultra Low Sulfur.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what are the ratios for mixing oil?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1989w250
So what are the ratios for mixing oil?
I mix 1 fl oz of 2 cycle oil for every 2 gallons of diesel. So if I fill my tank with 30 gallons of diesel, I'll mix 15 fl oz of 2 cycle oil. I buy the 2 cycle oil by the gallon and use it to fill an empty quart size oil bottle. The oil bottles work out well because they have an indicator so you can tell how much oil to add.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Diesel Bomber

sounds like a good plan.... i have been using atf for over 3 yrs now.... i will try the 2 cycle along with the atf ... hope that helps more....wonder if lamp oil would be a good additive ????

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to our local diesel pump rebuilding guy here in north dakota for john deere here, he also messes with pickup pumps too. He did verify this helps he couldn't say how much but he said he has recommended ATF for years but he cautioned me as to not put to much in as it will change the color of your fuel and cause problems if you get dipped by the HP. He told me he thought 2 oz to a tank full of fuel. What type of increase in mileage have you seen Edahall? I am tempted to try a stronger mix just don't want to wreck anything.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98cummins
I talked to our local diesel pump rebuilding guy here in north dakota for john deere here, he also messes with pickup pumps too. He did verify this helps he couldn't say how much but he said he has recommended ATF for years but he cautioned me as to not put to much in as it will change the color of your fuel and cause problems if you get dipped by the HP. He told me he thought 2 oz to a tank full of fuel. What type of increase in mileage have you seen Edahall? I am tempted to try a stronger mix just don't want to wreck anything.
I really can't tell you how much increase in mileage using the 2-cycle oil causes because I have never measured it without the oil. It takes me about 800 miles to use up a tank of fuel. All I can tell you is that on a long trip driving around 65 mph, I'll get 26 mpg. This is on truck that is 4x4, lifted 2", 305/75/16 tires and timing advanced 1/8".

What I like about 2 cycle oil is that it was formulated to burn in an engine. For a full tank fill up, I use about 15 oz of 2 cycle oil. I do it mainly to increase the longevity of the injectors and pump but I've heard that it helps with economy as well but I don't know by how much. The claim is it restores the mileage that was lost when diesel was reformulated to the high dollar Ultra Low Sulfur junk.

Last edited by Edahall; 07-14-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Diesel Bomber

i have never seen ort heard of a pick up being dipped..... i mean you would have to be doing something for them to feel the need.... and the process of trying to retrive fuel from a pick-up fuel tank...... not as easy as it would seem.... try it some time...... the state patrol will most likley never do it to a pick up.... rare occasion at best.... i use 1 qt per tank .... regartdless..... just dont get crazy..... all will be good ... and it helps the mpg's

Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
I was working for peterbilt at the time and one of the guys said that by adding atf to my fuel that it will increase the EGT's because of the detergents in the atf...... i also added some 10/40 on a long trip i had to use Ol' #2 fuel ..... it increases the fuel lube and increases the compression due to the thickness of the fuel giving the fuel a higher burn temp...... giving more bang and more lube.... = better fuel ecomomy..... my exp with it.... i have taken same trip with and with out oil in fuel ..... 1.2 mpg less.... with out anything 2.9 mpg less...... think i have the right combo for my idi.... no turbo so watch your pyro with any additives my friend..peace
I recommend using 2 cycle oil instead of motor oil. 2 cycle oil is formulated to burn. 4 cycle engine oil is formulated to not burn (same goes for ATF), and will leave significantly more deposits in the combustion chamber.

Quick Reply: how can I get better mileage