1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Got a New Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a New Truck!

Hey everyone, My name is Jake and i just recently purchased a 1991 w200. Non intercooled and its an auto I am coming from my 7.3 powerstroke so its going to take some time adjusting to missing two cylinders
Its single cab with no bed but i think i paid a good price for it. I know nothing about 1st gen cummins....at all. I am looking to learn as much as possible and i will have lots and lots of questions. I will post some pics up next week, its rust free but does have some issues.
Its has 151k miles and a rebuilt tranny. I paid 2,000 for it, was that a good deal or did i get burnt.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you get burned? No, unless the truck is completely FUBAR. I'd say you got a pretty good deal actually. And trust me, you won't be missing the extra 2 cylinders. Once we get you up and rolling, you're going to wonder why you didn't get one earlier. There's lot's to learn, but no question is a dumb one, so bring 'em on.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Diesel Fan

Good Deal then, it runs great now BUT it is very cold natured. I dont believe it has a block heater. When i turn the key i cant hear it cut on nor could i find the chord.
One thing i need to find is a good alternative to these sucky mirrors. Also the brakes feel a little spongy is that normal on these trucks or do i need to start replacing

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cummins dont have glow plugs they have an intake grid heater and when you first turn the key in the morning you will hear the selenoid click on and that means the heater is running along with the wait to start light, you will also hear it click off. Both of my first gens always started great in cold weather even w/o letting heater run. As for the mirrors i like them, the brakes, they suck imo, neither of my 1st gens brakes were very strong, i think a 2nd gen hydro system would be the way to go.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Diesel Fan

This one either doesnt have an intake grid heater or if it does it doesnt work. I turn the key and i hear no click or any buzzing.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Guess it's either disabled or MIA then. Unless you're in REALLY cold weather, you shouldn't need it to fire it up. Just make sure and let the engine warm up a bit before driving. I dunno what mirrors you've got, but if it's the little chrome ones, yeah, they're not so good. Older-style tripod types are better. And brakes can be good, or horrible, depending on the trucks it seems. Apparently upgrading the MC's to GM types will work wonders, as well as deleting/bypassing the ABS.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Diesel Fan

I will have to look into the brakes. Where can i find the tri-pod mirrors, would the ones off an obs ford work? Also has anyone but the swing style mirrors off a ford on that bolt into the door and fold in. Where can i go about finding a grid heater at as well?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ON the heater i would check to see if in fact it has been removed, some people do that for increased air flow, it is located in between the intake horn and the intake plenum on the head. it will have to studs pointing towards the firewall with heavier gauge wire connected to them and there are two selenoids on the drivers side splash guards panel that control the heater, as for a relay i am not sure where it is located.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goose1991, Listen to these guy's they know what they are talking about, most of them. ha ha.. This is my first 1st gen I have owned several 2nd gen and up to 2007. They seem easy but with no electronics you need these guys to back you up. Good luck and have alot of fun with truck.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh i am listening, this is my first experience with them and i hope its a good one. If not back to the powerstroke i go! I will take a picture this weekend and post to up so you guys can tell me what i am working with. Also the headlights quit working for, it was just the headlights. Is there a fuse under the hood or is it a short?

Quick Reply: Got a New Truck!