1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

newie ques

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default newie ques

I just came aboard to forum and have a few questions. I've used the search function and read most of today and now it's clear as mud. I've got a bone stock 93' D250. Only thing i've done is pull off the muffler. I fixin to build and install an "old smokey" air intake. I was also thinking about the 3200 pump spring. I'm looking to boost my power when pulling a horse trailer down the interstate without a lot of smoke or killing my mileage too bad. I've read on turning up my pump and it seems a bit intimidating. I need to stay on the cheap(wife,2kids, one pay check). So i'm looking for any and all suggestions from everyone.

Before someone asks, yes I ahve mechanical skills, been wrench turning all my life, as well as a machinist, carpenter, and e.m.t.
Just wanting to upgrade

Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 1,270 Likes on 472 Posts

your on the rite track with the cold air intake and the open exhuast line . but if your not 100% comfortable mess'n with the ve pump take to to someone that is. plus get a dennyt fuel pin a little over $100 buck plus a good fuel addative . hope this helps ya some

Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

BBG's suggestions are good, but one thing about the VE is that if you don't like something you've done to it, you can always turn it back to how it was. If you've been wrenching a while, there's nothing intimidating about the pump. There should be good info in the sticky, but you should check out other forums too. I may get in trouble for listing some sites in the open forum, (not sure on this site, I have to read the rules again!) so I'll PM you. Also, check on youtube for 'VE turn up' or somesuch. Apparently there's some good stuff on there too.
Also, as Goat suggested, a fuel pin will help you a lot. Either Denny T or M&H make quality products. In saying that, the first thing you should buy is, at minimum, a pyro and boost gauge before you do anything to the pump.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah from what i read today the M&H M3 or M4 seem the way to go. I'll look into it and the gauges. Just trying to keep it mild for now.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Gauges, a small timing bump (less then 1/8"), 3200 spring, DennyT Stage 2, intake, exhaust and a little bit of full power screw would waken that thing right up.

Oh and

Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Evening all. My old smokey mount plate is cut and bent and just needs the 5" hole in it. So well on my way to getting her breathing better. still looking at gauges and trying to decipher, like to go with VDO, but my solicite advice on that. Discussing with my chief engineer and welder (Dad) on a 4" exhaust with a turn out at the back wheel.
What difference would it make if I rotated the fuel pin and lowered the star wheel 1 1/2 turns? And how do you bump the timing on these engines, I know it's not like my old 289 falcon? A little bit of power screw?? 1 turn or less or more that one turn? I know to watch for run away and have the 2x6 ready.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

before you go crazy with full power screw and all that you need gauges there about 200-500bucks depending on how fancy you get thats cheep insurance VRS the alternative of a melted/stuck piston

Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome Reb,

I'd suggest reading all the back posts here and on

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Before you buy or touch a thing. There are some low cost air intake up grades in the stickys as well as tuning info. You'll also find gauge install info.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Diesel Fan

I haven't touched anything yetand I am in the process of upgrading my air intake.
I've read alot of the back posts on here and joined diesel truck resource forum too.
As i've saidworking on airand exhaust first. Right now i'm asking questions and gathering knowledge so when i'm ready i'm not stumbling around in the dark. Hence my questions on turning the fuel pin and adjusting the full power screw before getting gauges.
Knowledge is power.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gauges should be first, i'd say. I understand needing to go cheap, so may I suggest possibly going to a big truck salvage yard and resourcing a pyro and boost gauge out of a wrecked Peterbilt or Freightliner or something.
I happen to own a Peterbilt and a Freightliner, and the gauges in my Dodge are spare gauges I had for my Pete.
I made my own gauge pods for mine and they look good.